Oaklanders Against William Bratton and Racial Profiling!
Oakland deserves to be a safe city for all people. William Bratton's policing models encourage police violence, disproportionately target young Black and Brown men and are not effective crime reduction strategies. We need solutions for Oakland by Oaklanders.
Join us on Tuesday 1/15 - 5:30pm to tell City Council that we reject William Bratton and his unconstitutional and discriminatory policies.
- Oakland Mayor Quan, City Administrator Santana and City Council members
Do NOT Contract With William Bratton!
Organizations and residents strongly oppose the hiring of William Bratton. The community demands to participate in the decision-making process to create real solutions to problems in Oakland neighborhoods.
WE OPPOSE THE HIRING OF BRATTON BECAUSE:
1. ZERO TOLERANCE POLICIES INCLUDE RACIAL PROFILING & ENCOURAGE POLICE VIOLENCE. “STOP AND FRISK” DISPROPORTIONATELY TARGETS BLACK & BROWN MALES.
• Bratton’s track record in major cities has resulted in unconstitutional and discriminatory policing that disproportionately impacts marginalized communities such as youth, the homeless, LGBT people, people with disabilities, immigrants, and women, but particularly young Black and Brown males. These practices are an outrage and do not promote public safety.
• The City of Oakland cannot afford the lawsuits that will follow this type of policing model.
• Bratton supports CompStat but this is already in place in Oakland. We need crime analysts for this to be effective, not Bratton. Unless he’s going to provide clerical support, there is nothing for him to do in this arena.
2. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY OR TRANSPARENCY
• City residents and organizations were not consulted at any point in this process.
• The City Administrator Santana controls the narrative without regard for the real stakeholders when she is allowed to hire and contract at-will, with little-to-no oversight.
• It is not clear who answers to whom in the web of public safety titles.
3. UNDERMINES THE NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
• Since police abuse of residents is one of the main unresolved reforms which the Federal court is demanding, why would Oakland bring in another person whose policies tend toward profiling and abuse?
• Commit to Judge Henderson's recommendations. How many plans exist to reform the OPD? Which plan will be prioritized and enforced?
4. IT IS POSSIBLE TO REDUCE VIOLENT CRIME IN OAKLAND BY THE WISDOM, THE ORGANIZATION, AND THE ACTIONS OF OAKLANDERS
• Oakland succeeded in reducing homicides by a total of 40% between the years of 2006-2011. One reason was the intense involvement of many sections of the community. (See City web site for statistics: 148 homicides in 2005, 90 homicides at 2010 with decreases every year).
• The expertise and model exists and has been implemented in the past.
• Revisit what has already worked and mobilize to use these strategies and others including an aggressive "Cease Poverty Program" and re-entry programs.
Today: Ingrid is counting on you
Ingrid Martin needs your help with “Oaklanders Against William Bratton and Racial Profiling!”. Join Ingrid and 36 supporters today.