Save the E. 12th St. parcel for the people!
This petition had 1,670 supporters
UPDATE: After successfully stopping the sale of the E. 12th St. parcel for a 100% market-rate high-rise, our community coalition developed its own proposal for 100% affordable housing that has been submitted to the City of Oakland (http://proposal.e12thoakland.org/) In March 2016, the City Council will make a final decision on a development for the parcel. We forced the other potential developers to include some affordable housing, but what they are proposing is still a majority market-rate tower. We still need your support to fight for 100% affordable housing on our public land.
The Oakland City Council is poised to approve the sale of prime city property at E. 12th St. and 2nd Ave. to private developers for the construction of a 24-story luxury high-rise tower. This approximately one acre parcel of publicly-owned land is currently part of the Lake Merritt estuary and park ecosystem and is designated as a public right of way. The proposed development consists of 298 market-rate condominiums with a median monthly rent of $3,000 and zero affordable housing units, despite clear calls for affordable housing by local residents at community planning meetings. The only community benefits offered in this sale of public property are a privately-owned cafe and some landscaping of the property around the proposed high-rise.
We are very concerned about the inevitable wave of real estate speculation and displacement of working class communities of color that will result from this kind of development. Skyrocketing rents and an influx of new, wealthier residents are already impacting Oakland’s working class and immigrant communities and driving displacement. It is critical that city resources be dedicated to building affordable housing and promoting sustainable development that benefits existing local communities and respects the cultures and ecology of Eastlake neighborhoods.
We call on the Oakland City Council to take immediate action to ensure that public land is used for the public good.
1. We want an Eastlake neighborhood, District 2, and Oakland where long term working class residents stay and benefit from sustainable development, and where the culture, community, and character of the neighborhood and city are respected, not displaced.
2. We demand any new housing development at the city-owned property on E. 12th St. be 100% affordable housing. We do not want a luxury high-rise apartment tower. (Check out our community proposal for 100% affordable housing here: http://proposal.e12thoakland.org/)
3. We demand the City suspend the current negotiations with UrbanCore Development LLC and put a Request for Proposals out to bid publicly with a focus on affordable housing.
4. We demand a more extensive, truly inclusive community visioning process to discuss meaningful ways that this publicly-owned parcel can benefit the community.
5. We want the mayor and the City Council to create a real affordable housing plan that ensures sustainable investment in our communities, not development that leads to displacement.
As concerned community members we will remain engaged with this issue by participating in the following upcoming meetings.
Today: Eastlake is counting on you
Eastlake United for Justice needs your help with “Oakland City Council: Save the E. 12th St. parcel for the people!”. Join Eastlake and 1,669 supporters today.