Change the construction site for the installation of a water service within Isham Park from Park Terrace East to Park Terrace West.
This petition made change with 210 supporters!
January 10, 2014
Dear Friends and Neighbors of Bruce Reynolds Memorial Garden
in Isham Park,
During the month of March, 2014 NYC Parks Department will begin construction on Park Terrace East south of 215th. St. and within Bruce's Garden to provide water service for Isham Park. Although a welcomed and much needed resource, the current construction plans will adversely affect and endanger several community conveniences for at least 2 to 3 weeks.
* Emergency vehicle services will be compromised
* Sanitation service may be effected for 10 Park Terrace East
* Park Terrace West is a better site for accessing the water main as it is a through street
Park Terrace East is 28 feet wide and a Dead End Street
An 8' x 12' trench will be dug on the west side of the street to access the water main. However, the fenced off construction area will be 20' to 24' wide x 12' long and will be perpendicular to the curb, just north of the birdbath in Bruce's Garden. This creates a 20' wide x 12' long barrier which will protrude into the street, leaving only a 16' passage lane for vehicles.
Cars, on average, are 6 feet wide
With parked cars across from the construction site, the passage lane for vehicles is reduced to 10'. The average fire truck or ambulance is 8' wide, leaving 1' on either side for passage. This is problematic for several reasons. In the event of an emergency, the emergency vehicle must utilize this area due to necessity:
1. Emergency vehicle's capabilities will be compromised due to area constraints.
2. Emergency vehicle would effectively block 'through access', making it impossible for other emergency service vehicles to assist in a potential rescue effort.
3. If Park Terrace East is blocked, use of the cul-de-sac would be cut off, taking away the ability for larger vehicles to turn around. If many vehicles are summoned, only one has access to the cul-de-sac, potentially causing inaccessibility in either direction.
4. Parked vehicles, especially SUV's (which are wider), may be damaged due to area constraints.
5. Sanitation service may be impacted for 10 Park Terrace East.
IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY, THESE ISSUES CREATE VERY SERIOUS HAZARDOUS SAFETY CONDITIONS FOR THE 300 OCCUPANTS OF 10 AND 30 PARK TERRACE EAST.
What NYC Parks Department and Department Of Transportation may do
To alleviate these issues, Parks and DOT may decide to reduce parking on Park Terrace East. Removing 10 to 12 cars on the east side of the street opposite the construction site would indeed open a 16' passage lane for vehicles, yet with emergency vehicles being on average 8' wide, blockage could still occur.
The best solution is to reduce parking on both sides of the street
As such, all issues are solved, except in the eventuality that an emergency vehicle absolutely must stand opposite the construction site in order to be more effective. We can only hope no severe tragedies occur during construction.
It is our contention the better way to provide water service to Isham Park is through Park Terrace West
Park Terrace West is also 28' wide. Construction could ensue on the east side of Park Terrace West midway between Isham Street and 215th street (between the retaining walls). Unfortunately, parking for 10 to 12 cars on the west side of the street may be restricted just opposite the construction site to open a 16' corridor. HAZARDOUS SAFETY CONDITIONS, HOWEVER, WILL BE ALLEVIATED AS PARK TERRACE WEST IS A THROUGH STREET. Further, this section of Park Terrace West has no buildings and is completely on Parks property.
What you can do
1. Call the following representatives and demand construction and installation of the water service in Isham Park slated for Park Terrace East be moved to Park Terrace West:
Public Advocate Letitia James - 212.669.7200
Senator Adriano Espaillat - 212.544.0173
Assemblywoman Gabriela Rosa - 212.544.2278
Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez - 917.521.2616
Manhattan Borough Commissioner William Castro - 212.408.0201
Northern Manhattan Parks Administrator Jennifer Hoppa - 212.795.1388 x300
2. Sign this petition.
If you've already signed our paper petition, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! However, please sign this one as it addresses different issues. Then, pass it on to other interested, concerned neighbors.
These actions by NYC Parks Department affect YOU. Your voice matters!
The integrity of Isham Park, Bruce’s Garden and Inwood must be respected.
Sincerely and Best Wishes,
J. A. Reynolds, Founder
Isham Park Restoration Program 1970, Inc.
Aaron Scott, Coordinator
Isham Park Restoration Program 1970, Inc.
Today: Isham Park Restoration Program 1970, Inc. is counting on you
Isham Park Restoration Program 1970, Inc. needs your help with “NYC Parks and Recreation: Change the construction site for the installation of a water service within Isham Park from Park Terrace East to Park Terrace West.”. Join Isham Park Restoration Program 1970, Inc. and 209 supporters today.