No Way Melville and Woolworths!
This petition had 200 supporters
2km from one of WA's largest shopping complexes - Garden City Booragoon - in a low-key residential area at the corner of Reynolds Road and Canning Hwy, Mount Pleasant, the City of Melville and Woolworths have kept quiet a plan to build a multi-level shopping centre, selling out a small community space, zoning requirements, and the local community to a future of traffic jams and community disruption. THIS MUST STOP!
Not only will the addition of yet another major retail chain with 236 car parking spaces and one entry/exit point create traffic chaos, particularly in peak hour when the nearby intersection is already a logjam, but the negative community impact will undoubtedly force some residents out of the area.
- Does this area need yet another major multi-story retail Woolworths development with 236 car spaces, and potentially thousands of car movements daily? NO.
- Are you aware the proposed Woolworths is BIGGER than its Garden City store just 2km away?
- Why has City of Melville kept details of this plan quiet for so long, hiding the development proposal many pages deep into the City of Melville's website*, making it near-impossible for anyone to find? *UPDATE - THE COUNCIL INEXPLICABLY DELETED THE PROPOSAL FROM THEIR WEBSITE ON 24-NOV BUT WE HAVE KEPT A COPY HERE.
- Why do our representatives allow undemocratic and highly controversial bodies like the Development Assessment Panel to approve developments in OUR communities?
- How can our representatives in government allow the breach of this area's C4 zoning requirement (a small commercial/community hub) with this oversized, unnecessary new Woolworths complex?
- Why is the City of Melville continuing to support destruction of small community amenities in favour of big money sell-offs for yet more shopping and higher density housing (the nearby Mt Pleasant Bowling Club is another example)?
- Can we trust Woolworths (who have developed a track record of putting profit ahead of communities - eg. 1, 2) with our local community’s welfare?
- Why did the City of Melville breach planning laws by only advising only a small handful of local residents of the proposed development, when the requirement is to advertise to all residents who may be impacted by this development?
- Have our community representatives forgotten that there are already 5 community shopping service hubs within 3km of this proposed development? At..
o Queens Rd Foods 1.7km away
o Mt Pleasant IGA 2,9km away
o Ardross 1.2km away
o Applecross Good Grocer 1.4km away
o Canning Bridge IGA 1.1km away
Sign and share to show your support for local community centres where they belong, NOT unlawful, unsustainable, oversized and completely inappropriate major retail developments in places where they do not belong. Your community needs your voice to stop this.
NO WAY City of Melville and Woolworths!
Follow us on Facebook or hashtag #NoWayMelville @NoWayMelville
- Thank you, from your fellow concerned independent residents of City of Melville.
Today: Ray is counting on you
Ray Morris needs your help with “No Way Melville and Woolworths!”. Join Ray and 199 supporters today.