BAN THE VENICE B.I.D.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
The proposal of a Business Improvement District (BID): City File #16-0749(CD11) in Venice was initiated by ex-president of the Venice Chamber of Commerce (VCC), Carl Lambert, in 2013 when he first brought his proposal to the Ocean Front Walk committee, a committee stacked with his business cronies.
Go here to watch video https://youtu.be/QstErnU0dQ4
Since then, the BID proposal has been working it's way through City Hall and is now surfacing as another giant step in the gentrification of Venice.
Many residents, property owners, business owners and stakeholders, are concerned about the impact of the proposed BID and how it will be enforced in Venice. Here are just some of the reasons why this is not a good idea for Venice, with it's Bohemian past and history of free-spirited, uninhibited ambiance:
1. The process for establishing the BID has not been public or transparent.
2. BIDs in the City of Los Angeles, and particularly their private security forces, have a history of hostility toward homeless and low-income residents resulting in several lawsuits since their inception in the late 1990s regarding unconstitutional practices.
3. BIDs are a form of privatization that harms those that don’t own property and limits democratic control over resources.
4. BIDs are not feasible for all businesses or property owners to pay, particularly non-profits and small business owners.
5. The founding premise for the BID is faulty. It is claimed that a BID is needed because the City of Los Angeles is not providing the proper public services. While it is true that the city is not providing services, the solution is not privatization. We oppose privatization of our public spaces and services.
6. In 1904, Abbot Kinney deeded Ocean Front Walk to be a public park in perpetuity, which also included sharp restrictions on commerce; therefore the city has no authority to approve a Business Improvement District on this section of Venice.
We DON'T WANT A BID IN VENICE - it will destroy the last vestiges of freedom that remain in our community!!!
Today: Benefit Network is counting on you
Benefit Network needs your help with “NO B.I.D. FOR VENICE, CA”. Join Benefit Network and 724 supporters today.