BIKE 86 is a grassroots coalition of local residents, visitors, business owners, and community organizations petitioning the NYS Department of Transportation to create a cycling friendly shoulder between Lake Placid and Saranac Lake.
Our message is urgent because this section of highway is scheduled to be repaved during the Summer of 2012, and this opportunity to improve safety for all users of the corridor should not be overlooked.
The creation of a shoulder suitable for cycling along Rt. 86 between Lake Placid and Saranac Lake will:
· Promote bicycle tourism in the region and provide economic benefits to local businesses
· Encourage bicycling for recreation, transportation and fitness
· Increase safety for drivers and cyclists alike on the busiest road in the Adirondack Park
· Improve public health by providing opportunities for physical activity and active living
· Contribute to quality of life in our rural communities
BIKE 86 understands that NYSDOT must maintain the safety and efficiency of our state’s aging transportation system with increasingly scarce state and federal resources. We also understand that this is a maintenance project and that funding is very limited for additional improvements. However, we believe it should be a priority of NYSDOT to make the best of what is available. BIKE 86 urges NYSDOT not to miss this opportunity to improve the safety and efficiency of this critical automobile and bicycle connection between Lake Placid and Saranac Lake by including a five foot paved shoulder suitable for cycling and other uses.
Matt Young started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,696 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.