National Inquiry into deaths at Canada's Indian Residential Schools
National Inquiry into deaths at Canada's Indian Residential Schools
Why this petition matters
With the recent and tragic discovery of the remains of 215 Indigenous Children at the Kamloops Indian Residential School, we call on the Government of Canada to establish a National Inquiry into the Indian Residential School system.
We implore the Government of Canada to meet the following demands:
1. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to use any and all resources to locate and identify any other evidence located at all former Residential/Day Schools throughout the Country including the use of Ground Penetrating Radar to locate further Mass Graves on these Residential/Day School Properties.
2. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to make every attempt possible to identify the remains of all children who have lost their lives at these Schools and that they be returned to their Communities so that they can have their final resting place at home with their family and community.
3. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to open an Independent investigation into the Churches who operated these Residential/Day Schools to be fully investigated into their conduct and that every resource be used to identify any living Priest, Nun, etc who may still be alive and that they too be held fully accountable for their Genocide up to and including being brought before the International Criminal Courts at the Hague for their Genocide.
4. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to hold the Churches that operated these Residential/Day Schools to be held accountable both Monetarily and Criminally up to and including being brought before the International Criminal Courts at the Hague for their Genocide.
5. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to ORDER a thorough Independent investigation into the policies implemented at the time by the Department of Indian Affairs and any of their 'Agents' to be investigated into their involvement in this Genocide and that any living member of the Ministry of Indian Affairs or their Agents involved in the establishing and maintaining of this Policy be held fully accountable up to and including being brought before the International Criminal Courts at the Hague for their Genocide.
6. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to direct the Canada Revenue Agency to remove the 'Tax Exempt Status' from any and all Religious Organizations, Churches and Community Organizations who were involved in the set up and operation of all Residential/Day Schools forthwith and further compel them to finance the location, identification and return the remains of these lost children to their families and communities.
7. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to compel these Religious Organizations, Churches and other Community Organizations to monetarily compensate the families and communities of these lost children for their loss as well as compensation to those still living who continue to struggle with the traumas perpetrated against them. We compel them to cover all expenses for their mental health, Addictions and Trauma Therapy to not only Survivors but to the families and community members of those children who never returned to their home communities.
8. We DEMAND the Government of Canada to sever all ties to the British Monarchy as were it not for the Crown giving Royal Assent for this horrendous Policy, our Indigenous People's would not have been subject to the Grave Abuses and Traumas perpetrated against them by the Government of Canada on behalf of the Crown.
9. We DEMAND Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to acknowledge on the floor of the House of Commons the role in which his father, former Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, and to make significant reparations to the Families , Communities, Residential School Survivors and those surviving family members of those children who died as a result of neglect, physical and sexual abuse and Murder at the hands of those who were given charge of the children forcefully removed and incarcerated in the Residential Schools
10. We further DEMAND the Government for full compensation be awarded to those Indigenous children who were apprehended under what is known as the '60's Scoop' and demand that the ongoing apprehension of Indigenous children immediately 'Cease and Desist'. To continue in the ongoing apprehension of Indigenous Children for no other reason beyond the Federal Transfer Tax and placing these children unnecessarily into the care of White families is NO DIFFERENT than the former Residential School System and like them is NOTHING short of the ongoing 'Cultural Genocide'.
11. We DEMAND the Government to IMMEDIATELY provide all the necessary funds to follow through in their commitment to our Indigenous Communites to upgrade all Water Treatment plants on First Nation's Territories. For our Indigenous Communites to be subject to years of 'Boil Water' mandates due to sub-standard water is no different than subjecting our Indigenous Children in Residential Schools to Tuberculosis and other horiffic treatable diseases. This horiffic treatment of these communities is once again another example of the ongoing Genocide in this Country.
12. We DEMAND that the Government of Canada to release all Residential School records to be immediately released from the National Archives to all our Fist Nations communities. To continue to withhold these vital records is nothing short of a continuation of the traumas perpetrated as a result of Colonization and the ongoing Genocide being perpetrated against our Indigenous People's
13. We DEMAND that there be a FULLY Independent Inquiry into the 'Human Experimentation on Indigenous Children who were incarcerated in Residential Schools. For the Government of Canada to authorize human experiments regarding the impact of starvation and diets is beyond anything ever imagineable. These were young INNOCENT Indigenous Children who the Government had already STOLEN by the Agents of the Department of Indian Affairs and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Not only is this Genocide...this is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY!!! We as a United People stand in Solidarity with our Indigenous People's and DEMAND JUSTICE AND FULL ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!
This is a dark chapter in Canada's Living History and must be reconciled by the Government and Canada as a whole so that such an atrocity never happens again within our borders.
We firmly believe that if Canada is to have true and honest 'Truth and Reconcilliation' with our Indigenous People's and their communities regarding past harms committed against them by the Government of Canada and the Churches that carried out this Policy on their behalf, there must be a full National Inquiry with a full forensic investigation such as what the Truth and Reconcilliation Commission, the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, and the Robert Pickton Inquiry began.
Only through real action in reconciling our Nation's past will our Indigenous People's and all Canadians be able to truly heal in our unified journey to reconcile our past and begin our healing process.
We firmly believe that in order for our Country as a whole to achieve full Truth and Reconcilliation with our Indigenous People's that we must all stand United as One to vow that this type of atrocity never happens again.
- Justin TrudeauPrime Minister of Canada
- Marc MillerMinister of Indigenous Services
- Carolyn BennetMinister of Crown-Indigenous Relations
- Chrystia FreelandMinister of Finance & Deputy Prime Minister of Canada