Please take steps to fully restore the Starlight drive-in sign and return it to its original position.
This petition made change with 1,041 supporters!
As a born and bred Canberran with very fond memories of frequenting the Starlight drive-in as both a small child and a teenager I want to rally support for restoring the iconic sign. Jay from the "Canberra" facebook page, and Laurie McDonald have since joined me and together we are forming a "rescue" committee to work towards saving the Starlight sign.
The Starlight drive-in sign although heritage listed is currently sitting in a TAMS lot - face down and damaged.
The 1950s classic, American-style cinema sign is an amazing piece of Canberra's history:
- it is the only remaining remnant of Canberra's very popular and well-loved drive-in
- it was the first neon sign in Canberra.
- before it tipped off its rusted foundations in October 2012 in high winds it was the only drive-in sign in Australia still in its original position.
- it has been acknowledge as an important part of Canberra's history having been heritage listed in 2012.
The sign is culturally significant to Canberra, and to Australia. All attempts should be made to restore it and place it back in its rightful place which is out the front of its namesake residence, the Starlight apartment complex or alternatively, to a location that is appropriately respectful to its historical significance.
We need to get support from Canberrans to show the Chief Minister Mr Andrew Barr MLA, Mr Shane Rattenbury MLA (TAMS), Mr Mick Gentleman MLA (ACT Heritage) and the Starlight Body Corporate Committee that we are set on taking the necessary steps to save the sign.
Attempts to restore and re-position the sign have been attempted a couple times before but this time we won't be stopping until it's done.
SOS - please take a stand and help us save our Starlight sign.
- - -
THE "Starlight" RESCUE COMMITTEE:
- Irene Hazilias - Director/Co-owner HRMWEB
- Laurie McDonald - Director/Owner Canberra Furnished Accommodation
- Jay - Owner www.canberrafacebook.com. A big thank you to Jay, the powerhouse behind the "Canberra" page on Facebook (if you aren't a fan go and "like" it because it's amazing!), for the inspiration for reigniting efforts to get this done.
THE "Starlight" ADVOCATE TEAM
- Nik Bullant - last owner of the Starlight Drive-in
- Joe Deren Snr, Joey Deren - Owners at Joe Deren Signs
Today: Irene is counting on you
Irene Hazilias needs your help with “Mr Andrew Barr MLA & TAMS: Restore the Starlight drive-in sign and either return it to its original position, or find somewhere else appropriate for it to stand proud.”. Join Irene and 1,040 supporters today.