Stop the 216th interchange project until a Walnut Grove transportation plan is approved.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Keep Walnut Grove a peaceful place to live, please sign this petition to have the MOT and TOL engage our community with a transportation plan that manages the traffic on 216th St. from Hwy 1 to 96 Ave. within Walnut Grove.
The BC Ministry of Transportation (MOT) and the Township of Langley (TOL) are planning a 4 lane interchange at HWY1 and 216th St with full on and off ramp capabilities. The new interchange is to support growth on the south side of Highway 1 in a new subdivision called Williams, currently in the planning stage with TOL. This highway interchange will drive unwanted semi truck and excessive car traffic into the pristine North Langley residential community of Walnut Grove.
In Walnut Grove, 216th Street is lined with single family residential homes, two elementary schools, bike paths, and crosswalks. Our young children should be kept safe from the planned 4 lanes of traffic. The excessive traffic will increase the hazards of walking and biking in the quiet residential Walnut Grove neighbourhood, as well as on 216th St, and will restrict popular cycling paths in Forest Hills. We expect a significant increase in noise pollution, air pollution, and a negative impact on our property values.
The need to improve infrastructure in Langley is important, but it needs to be done with the best interests of each community affected. The TOL is doing a great job of engaging the public in the Williams planning exercise. However, the TOL has not developed a transportation plan from Hwy 1 to 96th Ave. An unapproved plan for 4 lanes, without noise abatement, from Hwy 1 to Telegraph Trail and a 4 way light at Telegraph Trail will be presented to TOL for budget approval, but no planning or consultation has occurred beyond this, particularly with the 2 elementary schools and residents in North Langley who are directly impacted by the overpass from HWY 1 to 96 Ave.
The Walnut Grove Community has alternative recommendations to decrease the negative impact on our neighbourhood:
- Clearly show why Glover Road is not a feasible, or superior option for an Interchange instead of 216th Street. An existing plan to extend Labonte Ave to 216th St. will service Williams and this interchange will better service TWU, Fort Langley and Langley City.
- Decrease the planned 216th Street overpass to two lanes and guarantee this route north of HWY1 will not be a commercial truck route.
- Limit access to 216th St., North of Hwy 1. (Hwy 1 on and off ramps to service south of Hwy 1 only.).
- The TOL shall initiate a public consultation process to define the transportation plan from HWY1 to 96 Ave and ensure plans are COMPLETED AND FUNDED BEFORE the 216th interchange is approved.
- This transportation plan shall include such analysis and discussions as traffic studies, traffic abatement plans, school safety planning, environmental impact analysis including noise and air pollution, eliminating semi truck traffic with the use of roundabouts, and limiting the width of the roads to reduce traffic as much as possible.
Here is a video showing the traffic in 2045 on 216th North of Hwy 1, The traffic from 96th to Telegraph trail is not shown, but will have to pass through 2 elementary schools. https://youtu.be/hHL124JjVEI Additional information from the Mar 30 meeting at Alex Hope Elementary is here. https://youtu.be/odLCEo2ZldM
Thanks for signing the petition and ensuring our community is engaged with a complete transportation plan before the interchange design is completed.
For more information on the 216th St. Interchange and to share your feedback directly with the MOT: http://engage.gov.bc.ca/highway1and216/
Today: The Harfman is counting on you
The Harfman Family needs your help with “MP BC Min of Transportation: Stop the 216th interchange project until a Walnut Grove transportation plan is approved.”. Join The Harfman and 1,228 supporters today.