- Bob BurnsCommissioner
- Brenda BurnsCommissioner
- Susan Bitter SmithCommissioner
- The Arizona Corporation CommissionCommissioner, Gary Pierce
- Bob StumpChairman
- Arizona Governor
More, not less, rooftop solar in Arizona!
Just as Arizona has become a national leader in solar energy (1), the Corporation Commission unexpectedly voted last week to slash residential incentives and completely eliminate payments for commercial solar installations (2). The move effectively kills Arizona's vibrant rooftop solar industry and goes against broad bipartisan support for more, not less, local solar energy (3). This decision will destroy jobs, undermine economic growth across the state and worsen the dangers of climate change. Tell the Commissioners and Governor Brewer that now is not the time to turn our back on Arizona's solar future. Tell them to restore and extend robust incentives to all potential local solar investors. Let's keep Arizona's solar economy going strong!!
1. Arizona ranks third nationally in solar energy development, but has the potential to lead the nation: http://grist.org/climate-energy/one-of-the-years-most-important-clean-energy-fights-is-happening-in-arizona/
Governors Report on Solar Energy Development: azgovernor.gov/dms/upload/PR_091112_SolarReport.pdf
2. A Sneak Attack on Commercial Solar in Arizona: http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/an-arizona-regulator-sneak-attack-on-commercial-solar
3. A 2011 public opinion poll found that 91% of Arizonans were willing to pay more on their electricity bill each month for solar energy. Download the study here.
The Renewable Communities Alliance is a grassroots local clean energy advocacy group founded in Colorado in 2009 and recently relocated to Tucson, AZ. Our mission is to create a renewable energy future that empowers people and communities while protecting the environment. To learn more, follow us on facebook or visit our website.
Susan Bitter Smith
- Commissioner, Gary Pierce
The Arizona Corporation Commission
- Arizona Governor
Your surprise decision to slash residential incentives and completely eliminate payments for commercial solar installations threatens the very existence of Arizona's vibrant rooftop solar industry. It will destroy jobs and undermine economic growth across the state and worsen the dangers of climate change. Arizona has the best solar resources in North America and is the third most important solar state in the nation. Now is not the time to turn your back on our bright solar future. Your decision goes against broad bipartisan support for more, not less, local solar energy. The 15% Renewable Energy Standard and Tariff (REST) is a mandated minimum and should not used as an excuse to slow or stop Arizona's growing solar energy sector. I urge you to restore and extend robust incentives to all interested residential and commercial investors. We have the best solar resource in the nation, let's keep Arizona's solar economy going strong!!
Re: docket number is E-01345A-12-0290
Renewable Communities Alliance started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,257 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.