Help change bullying and harassment policies defined by the MN School Board Association
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Bullying can threaten students’ physical and emotional safety at school and can negatively impact their ability to learn. The best way to address bullying is to stop it before it starts. There are a number of things school staff can do to make schools safer and prevent bullying. What happens when schools fail to do so?
Training school staff and students to prevent and address bullying can help sustain bullying prevention efforts over time. There are no federal mandates for bullying curricula or staff training, but there are state mandates. Most schools in our state adopt their policies directly from the MN School Board Association (MNSBA).
School staff can help prevent bullying by establishing and enforcing school rules and policies that clearly describe how students are expected to treat each other. Bullying can be prevented, especially when the power of a community is brought together. Community-wide strategies can help identify and support children who are bullied, redirect the behavior of children who bully, and change the attitudes of adults and youth who tolerate bullying behaviors in peer groups, schools, and communities. Consequences for violations of the rules should be clearly defined as well.
Please sign the petition to help us in our request to have the following policies implemented by the MNSBA:
1. Incident documentation – all incidents must be documented (including but not limited to violence, harassment, threats, assault and bullying)
2. Mandated parental contact – all incidents (as above)
3. Mandated training - for all staff who work with students, regardless of contract (including but not limited to the School Resource Officer)
4. Defined list of offenses and consequences
5. Parent Right to Know – all parents should be informed of this policy
6. Defined staff consequence – for those who do not follow policies and procedures
7. Violence and Harassment policy – to include all students, not just those who fall into protected class categories
Today: Two is counting on you
Two MN Moms needs your help with “MN School Board Association: Help change bullying and harassment policies defined by the MN School Board Association”. Join Two and 1,472 supporters today.