Continue to allow recreational access to Butterfly trail
This petition had 2,482 supporters
We understand that the National Parks Board (Nparks) has made plans to close Butterfly trail, located off Chestnut Avenue, to all forms of recreational access. We request for a review of the decision for the following reasons.
1. The mission of the Nparks is “to create the best living environment through excellent greenery and recreation, in partnership with the community”. Recreational users are a stakeholder and one of the key reasons for Nparks' existence.
2. Butterfly trail located off Chestnut Ave is located in the boundaries of the Nature Reserve, and is highly frequented by all recreational users- hikers, runners, and mountain bikers- all nature lovers.The trail is an existing trail used by generations of Singaporeans since time immemorial, and in no way compromises the ability of future generations of Singaporeans to meet their own needs.
3. Recreational and educational use of Nature Reserves by the public is enshrined in statute under the Parks and Trees Act (Chapter 216), Part III, Section 7.
4. We enjoy relaxing in Butterfly trail by cycling, running and hiking with our family and friends. The trail is very scenic and gives me much joy. It is emotionally important to us, and helps us form pleasant memories and bonds to Singapore.
5. The reasons given by Nparks to support the impending closure of Butterfly trail- erosion and conservation- are not convincing. There are volunteer groups maintaining the trail, and erosion could be due to erratic rainfall patterns in the central catchment area that we have seen in recent years.
6. Wildlife and recreational users can co-exist together amiably in Nature Reserves. The trails around MacRitchie reservoir and Sungei Buloh wetland reserve are good examples of this success. The detriments of recreational use in nature can be mitigated with trail etiquette.
Thank you for supporting our petition, and keeping Butterfly trail open to recreational use.
Today: Mountain Bike Association (Singapore) is counting on you
Mountain Bike Association (Singapore) needs your help with “Ministry of National Development, National Parks Board: Continue to allow recreational access to Butterfly trail”. Join Mountain Bike Association (Singapore) and 2,481 supporters today.