Petition Closed

Harsher sentences for those found guilty of murdering and raping women and children in RSA

This petition had 1,812 supporters

We are the voice for the voiceless. As the Deon Rothman Foundation we want to take hands with the public (Mothers, Fathers, Aunts, Uncles, Siblings, Grandparents and our precious youth) to stand up and say enough is enough. NO MORE FEMICIDE. No more raping and killing the children of South Africa. We want to stand up and say these perpetrators must fear the laws of South Africa. When found guilty they must be sentenced to life with no parole. We need to stop the cycle of abuse by education and raising more awareness. Domestic violence in South Africa is rampant and epidemic. One out of every four women is abused and a woman is raped in the country every 25 seconds. (Source

Source: Times Live

Here are 10 recent cases that have sparked a public outcry:

1. Lindokuhle Kota‚ 2‚ from Khayelitsha - murdered in May

NtuthuzeloMayekiso‚ 25‚ appeared in Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court in Cape Town on May 9 for the murder of his two-year-old child. State prosecutor ManelisiMacaba said he had been sent to reform school for an earlier offence.

Khayelitsha police arrest man after rape, murder of his two-year-old daughter 

 2. Courtney Pieters‚ 3‚ from Elsies River - murdered in May

After an extensive search by community members‚ Courtney's body was found in a field on Saturday. A 40-year-old man - believed to be a boarder with the family - was arrested on Sunday night in Elsies River. He is set to appear in court.

Courtney's suspected murderer was part of the search team who came across the toddler's body 

3. IyaphaYamile‚ 4‚ from Khayelitsha - murdered in April

Iyapha's mutilated body was found in a communal toilet and it is believed that she was murdered during a gang ritual‚ the Weekend Argus reported.


4. Natalie Baartman‚ 5‚ from Syferfontein - murdered in February

Natalie's half-naked body was found in a field near her Syferfontein home in February. The suspect lives close to her parents' home‚ Algoa FM reported.


5. StachaArendse‚ 11‚ from Tafelsig - murdered in March

Stacha's body was found in Mitchells Plain. A 23-year-old man was arrested and the community tried to burn his house down. People Against Gangsterism and Drugs (Pagad) clashed with police and two people were arrested for public violence.


6.     Rene Tracy Roman‚ 13‚ from Lavender Hill - murdered in March

 A 50-year-old man led police to the scene of her decomposing body. After his arrest‚ hundreds of residents turned on the man.

Pagad leads uprising after suspect in girl's murder appears in neighbourhood 

7. Franziska Blöchliger‚ 16‚ from Kalk Bay - murdered 2016

The trial of Howard Oliver has started in the Western Cape High Court. Blöchliger was attacked‚ robbed and killed after she had gone for a run in Tokai forest.

And then there was one: Franziska murder charges dropped against three men 

8. SinoxoloMafevuka ‚ 19‚ from Khayelitsha - murdered 2016

The trial of cousins Athabile and XoliswaMafilika was due to start in the Western Cape High Court on Monday but was postponed. Mafevuka was found dead in a communal toilet about 150m from her home in the SST informal settlement. She was half-naked and her head had been shoved into a toilet bowl.

Sinoxolo killing: 2 in court 

9. Karabo Mokoena‚ 22‚ Johannesburg - murdered in April

It is believed that Mokoena's body was doused with petrol‚ a tyre was then placed around her neck and set alight. Her boyfriend has been arrested in connection with her murder.

Horrific details of KaraboMokoena's gruesome murder emerge 

10. Candice Alberts‚ 32‚ from Slangrivier - murdered in April

A policeman allegedly confessed to her murder‚ the Cape Times reported. The newspaper reported that her body had ''multiple stab wounds'' and she could have been strangled too.


In other cases:

Source: IOL. Jayde Inggs -It is alleged that Panayiotou paid LuthanodoSiyoni, a bouncer from his Infinity nightclub, to hire hitman SizweVumazonke to kidnap and kill Jayde.

The State alleges that Nenembe assisted Vumazonke to kidnap and murder Jayde at the behest of her husband. Siyoni has since turned States witness. After being driven to a remote area on the outskirts of Kwanobhule where the killing took place, the State claims that Vumazaonke fired two shots through Jayde’s back. The accused face charges of conspiracy to commit murder, murder, kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances and unlawful possession of firearm and ammunition.

The men have pleaded not guilty to all the charges against them. Panayiotou, who was arrested shortly after his wife’s murder more than a year ago, faces an additional charge of defeating the ends of justice. Sibeko was the last suspect to be arrested, 15 months after the murder, and has apparently been linked through cellphone mapping to being present outside Jayde’s complex in the days before her murder. However, his exact role in the events is still unclear.


Source: Poppie vd Merwe. The stepfather of Poppie van der Merwe appeared in the Brits Magistrate Court on Friday on charges of murder.


Kobus Koekemoer was arrested on Wednesday on a farm in Mamogalieskraal outside Brits. He will remain in custody until 3 November, when he is expected to apply for bail. Col PelonomiMakau, spokesperson of the local police, confirmed that Koekemoer was arrested on Wednesday on a farm on the Letlabile road. Poppie was taken to the local hospital on Tuesday evening, but was declared dead upon arrival. Col. Makau could not confirm the nature of Poppie’s injuries. Louise Koekemoer, the mother of Poppie, was very emotional when she spoke to the media. She said there are many rumours on social media, but it is all hear-say. “The truth will come out. It must just come out in the right manner. The community must allow the police to do their job.” She said she feels emotionally broken. “I love all my children. I will never do them any harm.”


The stepfather of a 3-year-old girl who was beaten to death is being held in jail after he was arrested in connection with her death. A neighbour had reported to the police in the past that Koekemoer “had been abusing Poppie Koekemoer for some time. Roux, the neighbour, wrote in his statement “that he witnessed numerous occasions of abuse towards the younger 2 children.


One evening he could hear in the house next door a loud thud against the wall and noticed Poppie walking around the next day crippled and bruised. At times the beating was so bad that her terrified screams were so loud it silenced the sounds of the beating. She and her brother were hosed down with ice cold water during the winter months and forced to sit wet in the cold. The children were also forced to share a bedroom with their parents and were exposed to behaviour not suitable for children of this age”

Source: Roodepoort Record. Deon Pelser.On the 11th of June 2016, baby Deon's Mom returns home from work to find Baby Deon (6 months old), deceased in his cot.

He suffered a fractured skull, fractured ribs, broken bones, bruises on his hands, chest, legs, back and burn wounds (it is suspected that little Deon was burnt with hot water) According to state pathologist Dr. Shelly Stuart, she found that Deon's liver was also injured and the cause of death was MULTIPLE blunt force injury.

As previously reported, the court changed this to a Schedule 6 offense (Premeditated murder) Marthinus Pelser (Baby Deon's father and person accused of his murder) was denied bail, and remains in custody for the remainder of his trial.

Source: News24 - Soweto woman stabbed to death

A 32-year-old woman was stabbed to death, allegedly by her boyfriend, in Jabulani on Sunday, Soweto police said.

She was stabbed several times and locked in a flat, said Warrant Officer Kay Makhubela.

"The man then phoned the girl's friend and told her he killed the woman."

A murder case was opened and police were searching for the man, believed to be a Jozi FM employee.

Makhubela said the man told his friend that he was going to Botswana.

Source: Soweto Urban - Residents found a woman’s corpse laying in a veld in Tladi

Tladi residents stumbled across a shocking scene of a half-naked woman who was found laying in an open space.

On Monday morning at around 8 am, Naledi police arrested a male suspect aged about 38 for the murder of a 27-year-old female in Naledi, the murder is suspected to have taken place between Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.


According to Naledi Police station communications spokesperson ThulaniMbambala, it is alleged by community members that on Sunday at about 07:00, they had a community meeting at Lekurustreet in Naledi regarding the long grasses near the railway line.

While they were busy cutting the long grass, they stumbled upon a half-naked body a woman.

The police were summoned to the scene and upon arrival, they found a half-naked woman laying on an open space next to a certain house at Lekurustreet.

Upon further investigations, it was found that there were big stones next to the head of the woman and she also had about three wounds on her neck and a knife was found next to her lifeless body.

The victim was declared dead by the Johannesburg Emergency Medical Services.

The police are not ruling out the possibility that the woman might have been raped before she was brutally killed.

Investigations revealed that the male suspect was the last person who was seen with the victim prior to her death and that they had a quarrel about money.

Naledi SAPS Detectives wasted no time taking the suspect in for questioning and he was not very convincing when answering questions from the investigating officer.

Samples will be taken from both the victim and the suspect in order to positively link the suspect to the murder.

Investigations are still underway.

Source: The Citizen - Details: How four women were murdered, found dead in Soweto in one weekend

The fourth body was burnt beyond recognition. Police suspect the woman could have been raped.

Investigations are under way following the murders of four women who were found dead in open velds in Soweto at the weekend.

Gauteng police reveal the four brutal killings:

The body of PopiQwabe, 24, was found in Naledi on Friday, while that of her friend BongekaPhungula, 28, was found in neighbouring Tladi on Saturday, The Sowetan reported.

In another incident, the body of Lerato Moloi, a lesbian woman, was also found in Naledi on Sunday.

This after Tladi residents who were busy cutting the long grass stumbled across a shocking scene of the half-naked woman who was found lying in an open space, Soweto Urban reported.

Upon further investigations by police, it was found that there were big stones next to the head of the woman and she also had about three wounds on her neck and a knife was found next to her lifeless body.

The fourth body, which has not been identified was found at a dumping site in Mfolo, also on Sunday.

One of the police officers Captain Mavela Masondo said the fourth body was burnt beyond recognition.

“It is alleged that people who were at a dumping site came across the body and alerted police.”

Masondo added preliminary forensic investigations indicate that it is the body of a woman. The woman could have been raped.

“Two people have been arrested in connection with Moloi’s murder. The suspects will appear in the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday. The motive for the murder remains unknown,” said  Masondo.

He said the bodies of Phungula and Qwabe have been identified by family members. No arrests have been made.

 Here are previous cases where perpetrators have been sentenced:

1.     Source: Cape Town - A 32-year-old man has been sentenced to 14 years direct imprisonment for murdering his former girlfriend's seven-month-old baby daughter.


The Western Cape High Court on Tuesday entered into a plea-and-sentence agreement with ZukileNakupi for the January 2016 killing. In the agreement, the chilling details of InganathiMnyani's final moments are laid bare.


On January 21, Nakupi and the baby's mother were at their home in an informal settlement in Philippi. The older biological child of the couple was asleep in another room. At about 1am, AndisiweMnyani woke up to feed the baby (not Nakupi's biological child). “The accused who was drunk at the time, started arguing with Andisiwe about the females who constantly contacted the accused.The couple started fighting, while the baby lay on the bed. She fell off the bed as the fighting continued.

“The accused admits that he stepped on the infant as he wrestled with her mother on the bed. The accused admits that he stepped on the deceased's body and head more than once. The accused then picked up the deceased and hit her against the beam and the wall of the shack. The accused then flung the deceased behind the bed.”


Nakupi could not remember when little Inganathi stopped crying. He admitted that his actions were intentional and unlawful, and pleaded guilty to the murder.


Western Cape High Court Judge President Judge John Hlophe asked Nakupi if he had anything he wanted to say. In a barely audible voice, he apologised to the child's family.


Nakupi had also shown “genuine remorse”, which allowed the court to deviate from the minimum sentence of 15 years for murder, as prescribed by legislation. The court also found him capable of rehabilitation.


The baby's family was not in court on Wednesday, but State prosecutor Thabo Ntela said they had been notified and were satisfied with the sentence.


2.     Source: News 24. Cape Town - Violence against women and children was in the spotlight on Tuesday as men were sentenced in separate cases for the brutal murders of two baby girls.


In Cape Town, a Montagu man was sentenced to an effective 13 years in jail for beating his 3-month old daughter Anthonique to death.


Eugene Plaatjies, 25, received concurrent sentences of six years for child abuse, 13 years for murder and a year for assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.


The baby was chronically abused and sustained numerous fractures, bruises and lacerations.
She died a day after being admitted to hospital in 2014 The Western Cape High Court said it was highly improbable that she would have received those injuries from falling off a 60cm high bed.


In determining the sentence, the court took into account that Plaatjies was still young, had spent two years in custody and had good prospects for rehabilitation.

Lack of remorse

Acting Judge NolitaKose said this was balanced with the fact that little Anthonique was abused over a period of time and died of unnatural causes.


This was at the hands of someone who was supposed to love and protect her.

She felt Plaatjies had only felt sorry for his actions at a late stage and appeared to have a lack of remorse.


The child’s mother, Louise Alkaster, received a suspended five-year sentence after pleading guilty to child neglect.


She had testified about the abuse suffered at the hands of Plaatjies.

“I cannot imagine the trauma suffered by Louise and her family,” Kose said. “They will have to live with the grief caused by the accused’s actions.”


Plaatjies was deemed unsuitable to work with children and his name added to the child protection register.


Jealous lover

On the other side of the country, in Johannesburg, a court handed down much harsher sentences on Tuesday for the killing of 3-month old Patience Tshuma.


The Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court handed a life sentence to Xolani Ndlovu, 26, for killing his former lover’s baby, said Diepsloot police spokesperson Captain Daniel Mavimbela.


Accomplice Oscar Sibanda, 22, was handed down 18 years in jail for his role in the murder.

Ndlovu apparently arrived at Duduzile Moyo’s house last July and accused her of having been unfaithful in conceiving baby Patience.


He assaulted both Moyo and her daughter with a hammer while his accomplice stood guard at the door.
“Ndlovu also went ahead to assault Moyo's two other children aged 5 and 7... for he could not stand the children crying hysterically for help,” said Mavimbela.


Baby Patience died from head injuries, including a cracked skull.

Ndlovu fled the scene but was arrested on the West Rand a few weeks later.

The two were handed an additional 11 years for burglary, attempted murder and assault.


3.     Source: Baby Samantha's parents have been sentenced to to an effective 18 years behind bars.


They will serve four years for culpable homicide, three years for child abuse and 15 years for rape.

The culpable homicide and rape sentences will run concurrently.


The pair was convicted earlier this month during a high court sitting in the Protea Magistrate’s Court.

The couple was found guilty of culpable homicide, child abuse and rape.


Judge Mabesele said the prosecution could not prove that the 10-month-old infant's parents had intended to kill her.


 Mabesele said the infant had suffered long standing abuse. She had four broken bones, abrasions on her face and injuries to her vagina and anus.


Although the couple denied any wrong doing, the court said they had a legal duty to care for their child.

On Monday during mitigation of sentence, the parents told a high court sitting in Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court they were abused at some point in their lives.


Baby Samantha’s mother told the court she was she was raped in 1999 and has been suffering from depression since and was put on anti-depressants.

The 34-year-old also told the court she and her mother were physically abused by her father and had to be taken to a shelter by social workers.


Her partner has told the court, through his lawyer, that he also suffered abuse when he was younger.

He claimed that he and his mother were verbally abused by his alcoholic father. The 37-year-old added that his parents divorced as a result of the abuse and this had an effect on his life.

The couple has two other children, baby Samantha’s twin who is two-and-a-half-years-old and a six month old baby. They have now been left in the care of the mother’s relatives.


4.     Source: News 24:- Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp by Judge Thokozile Masipa.


In her sentencing, Masipa said that, while the crime committed was serious, a long term of imprisonment will not serve justice in this case.

Masipa said there were many mitigating factors, including Professor Jonathan Scholtz's testimony that there were "two Oscars", and balanced that with the seriousness of the crime to arrive at her 6-year sentence.

Pistorius was transported directly to Kgosi Mampuru II prison after the sentencing in Pretoria. His lawyers said they would not be appealing.


5.     Source: Pretoria - Pretoria lawyer and businessman Nico Henning is believed to have walked out of the dock a free man on Monday with a little help from his old friend and convicted murderer Andre Gouws.


While no reason was given for withdrawing charges against Henning, speculation was rife that Gouws did not keep his promise to take the stand against Henning. Gouws holds the key to the reasons for the murder of Henning’s estranged wife Chanelle on November 8, 2011.


He said his close friend Henning, whom he referred to as “The Godfather”, asked him to find someone to kill Chanelle. He asked his other friend, former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye, also known as the “Druglord of Gauteng” if he could assist with the killing. Monye agreed to find a hitman and earlier testified that he had never met Henning himself.


The pair undertook to testify in Henning’s trial and had expected a lighter sentence in return. But the judge sentenced each to life imprisonment. Henning was until yesterday out on R10 million bail.

With a slight smile on his face, Henning walked out of the dock in the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, on Monday after the prosecution withdrew its case against him.


However, the man accused of masterminding the murder of his estranged wife knows that the charges can be reinstated at any time.


He looked relieved outside court, but said he was not going to comment on the matter. His advocate Piet van Wyk simply said they noted the fact that the charges had been dropped. However, he confirmed that they could be reinstated at any time.


“We know that the prosecuting team is well experienced and we have reason to believe that they are well prepared and had consulted thoroughly. We take note of their decision not to prosecute.”

Van Wyk expressed the hope that Henning and Chanelle’s parents, Ivan and Sharon Saincic, would now be able to continue with their lives.


The parents, who are looking after Henning’s son, 7, with Chanelle, were not at court. They also did not answer their phone throughout the day when attempts were made to contact them for comment.

The news of the dropping of the charges came as a surprise as the media had prepared to spend the next few weeks listening to evidence of what motivated the cold-blooded hit on the blonde mother.


Veteran prosecutor Gerrie Nel - known for not easily giving up on a case - simply told Judge Eben Jordaan that the State was at this stage not ready to proceed and was compelled to withdraw all charges. This came after the case had dragged on for a year.


This means that Henning is off the hook for now, but the State can reinstate charges against him at any time as he was not formally acquitted.

Henning, who entered the court building hours before the case was due to start, was nowhere to be seen until the judge had entered the courtroom.


He then slipped into court and took his place in the dock. The proceedings took only a few minutes.

Previously, when the case was yet again postponed, Chanelle’s mother remarked that “this is just taking too long”.


At the time she and her husband vowed not to miss a single day of their son-in-law’s trial.

It is well known that they don’t see eye-to-eye with Henning.

“We are ready for round three,” Sharon had told the Pretoria News during the previous postponement of the case.


She and her husband attended the first round - when the actual hitmen, Doepie du Plessis and Pike Pieterse, were each sentenced to 18 years' imprisonment.


The pair waited for Chanelle outside the Faerie Glen nursery her son attended.

Du Plessis fired at Chanelle after she dropped the boy off while Pieterse drove the getaway motorcycle with Du Plessis on the back.


The pair told the court they had been instructed by Gouws and Monye to kill Chanelle.

Monye and Gouws, during round two of the trial, vehemently denied any knowledge of the killing.

It was only shortly before they were due to be sentenced that they decided to come clean.

Save our children, protect our women. NO to Abuse! NO to rape! NO to murder!



Today: Ronel is counting on you

Ronel Hayes needs your help with “Minister of Justice Michael Masutha : Harsher sentences for those found guilty of murdering and raping women and children in RSA”. Join Ronel and 1,811 supporters today.