Fix Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
Fix Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
Starting this off with a positive note, Age of Mythology: Extended Edition has sold over 1,200,000 copies! This shows that there is still a large amount of people that care about the franchise. However...
Since the release of the game, Microsoft has not devoted
sufficient resources towards ensuring that the product’s quality
is up to modern standards, favoring Age of Empires 2 HD over
it. As such, the game is in a state where a significant chunk
of players can not play multiplayer due to performance problems, or even launch the game.
While the base game has gotten really good reviews, the Tale
of The Dragon DLC is currently at a rather disappointing 41%.
There is also a tendency of multiplayer based negative reviews,
and single player based positive reviews, when looking at
the base game, indicating that people are more often than not unable to enjoy the multiplayer experience.
We ask for the following actions to be taken in order for the
game to become usable (we consider this to be the bare
- Fix performance issues. The game’s hardware
requirements are not accurate, misleading
buyers. Ensure the requirements match what
the store page claims (30FPS @min graphics
using min req. In a 3v3 with max. army).
- Fix online rating reset bugs (people get reset to the starting
1600 due to this bug).
- Lighting and color schemes need to be looked at,
as they are not clear enough.
To compensate for the nearly 5 years of lacking, neglectful
support, we would like the following to be considered. We
believe that this is the required list of things for Microsoft
to win back the trust of the AoM player base:
- Party system. Currently it is not possible to
choose your team mates for a ranked match.
- Separate 1v1 and Team Game ratings. Ties
into the above.
- Support the modding community and fix their
long list of issues.
- Revert rating algorithm to what the original game
used - this is what the players are used to. In
contrast to the new one, it does not reward
beating low level players.
- Online chat should have multiple channels and URL support. Other
steam based RTS games have done this,
therefore claims of this being impossible have
been misleading from the developers.
- Provide ranked statistics to players.
- Improve the quality of the Tale of the Dragon
DLC’s art (units, anims, buildings) through
Forgotten Empires. They clearly have been
forced to push out a rushed product, not
up to the standards of what we expect from
an Age game.
- Fix voice-over volume issues in the TotD
- Host tournaments for the community, or empower the community to do so better.
We, the undersigned call upon Microsoft Studios to empower
Forgotten Empires with sufficient resources and
time to realise these goals and undo the damage to the
community and Microsoft Studios’ image.
PS: The following issues have been solved already. Thank you to Microsoft and Forgotten Empires!
- Vsync now is functional, which will help more powerful graphics cards not fully maxing themselves out (this helps a lot with heat management in poorly cooled computers).
- Several game breaking issues, like the Lure's repair giving players infinite resources have been fixed.
- The game has been massively rebalanced, with particularly high attention to the Chinese. Make sure to give them/playing against them a shot!
- A very high number of crashes and out of syncs have been fixed, and the devs are actively responding to new ones being found.
- A high number of visual glitches have been fixed. The devs are actively seeking out more to fix.
- A large number of gameplay bugs have been fixed that required source code changes, meaning that modders weren't able to fix them.
- Pathfinding has been vastly improved - units no longer get stuck in gold mines, and other pathing glitches happen about as often as in the original.
- The issue where users would end up with billions of Elo has been fixed.
- Almost all map issues have been fixed. The few left here and there are not petition-worthy, and will no doubt be hunted down eventually.
- Some crashes (not all though) were fixed.
- The texture quality deterioration has been fixed. This doesn't mean that all texture types are properly supported though, so you will still be seeing glitched screens during locust swarm and underworld, and many transparency types are broken still.
- Microsoft has solved the lacking communication with the community - we now are finally being heard, and a select group has direct communication with Forgotten Empires, the developers.