Help Save Merrick's FLES (Foreign Language in the Elementary School) program
This petition made change with 638 supporters!
The Merrick Board Of Education is voting to eliminate our successful FLES (Foreign Language in the Elementary School) program at the next Board of Education Meeting on February 10, 2015.
Children at Merrick start learning Spanish in 3rd grade at all three elementary schools (Lakeside, Birch, and Chatterton) and continue taking Spanish for the next 3 years.
Countless research supports the advantages of learning a world language before the age of twelve. Taking advantage of the window of opportunity between birth and adolescence allows a child to optimize his or her language learning potential, and speak the second language with a native accent. Listed below are some of the ways FLES benefits our children.
1. Develops students’ cognitive skills and supports other content areas such as reading and math
2. Provides a better understanding of the English language
3. Strengthens problem solving capabilities and increases memory function
4. Increases readiness and boosts confidence for world language studies in middle school, high school and college
5. Learned language skills are transferable to other languages
6. Increases global awareness and cultural understanding
7. World language education is considered one of the most important 21st century skills we can provide our children as they prepare to live and work in a global society
FLES programs across Long Island are either being expanded and/or implemented. Our neighboring district, Bellmore has a successful FLES program. Wantagh schools is looking to expand its FLES program to include Mandarin. North Shore Schools has expanded its FLES program to include Spanish. Competitive Long Island school districts such as Syosset, Jericho, Rockville Centre, and Cold Spring Harbor all have long term successful FLES programs.
If we want to help prepare our children for the 21st century, let's continue to promote world language education by choosing YES for FLES.
We can save the Merrick FLES program with your support!
Today: Kimberlie is counting on you
Kimberlie Glaser needs your help with “Merrick Union Free School District Board of Education: Help Save Merrick's FLES (Foreign Language in the Elementary School) program”. Join Kimberlie and 637 supporters today.