Australian future needs a long-term evidence-based Bushfire action plan
This petition had 1,291 supporters
Australia and the entire world will struggle to forget the mourning felt during 2019-2020 bushfires.
Note this petition seeks fast-tracked evidence-based action planning, executed at the right time and cadence when dealing with the bushfire reality of Australia.
- Radical transparency and hyper-realism is the need of the hour.
- Bushfires do not discriminate against one's political nor existential opinions.
- The rising population of Australia needs an action plan to manage its future in context of its bush-fire reality.
- Escalation of mental, physical, ecological, infrastructural health costs in relation to bush-fires need some important stakeholders of the government, education and science sector as well as society to work together.
So, where does Australia stand when it comes to a bigger and worse fire emergency in our backyard every summer?
Who delivers the fiduciary responsibility, if an emergency fire-fighting truck were to be needed for every home - with water and fuel resources fast depleting?
Who does the country trust will ensure that an emergency doesn't become a status-quo every single year, claiming more and more homes, consuming more and more land, exhausting an already diminishing water supply?
An Australian would question a pandemic if it were to inflict the public (and medical community) every day or every month of every year.
So would a self-respecting Australian choose to remain numb in resignation towards fires every year ?…..We need answers and action.
Hospitals are seeing a bee line of Asthma related issues - most of them related to escalating particulate matter in the air.
Silence is NOT a response, most definitely NOT a roadmap!
Over 140 bushfires raging in the Australian summer season as at December 2019…
- Why does the emergency front-line crew have to live with the rising numbers of fires in the Australian forest yard - a situation which breaks both the community and the spirit of the firefighter with the exponentially rising fierceness it unleashes each year? - This question doesn't even explore a more complex state of our firefighting front-line's mental, physical and emotional health. Surely they deserve a holiday like any other citizen of the country. There is a limit to overuse of a country's very uniquely skilled and sparsely available front-line resource.
- Is every man and woman and child in this country one day going to train to be a firefighter because we have started to run out of options / resources to protect us?
- Why do the Australian public and flora fauna not have a right to life-health and safety…and why is general safety in all weathers and seasons not an active business of running a country?
- Would research and applied science on such a serious issue be useful to the nation's interest?
Emergency is not an appropriate word to describe what is now looking like a normal state of affairs.
We petition our government to:
- Investigate and publish data on loss of property, life, mental health after bush-fire season ends every year
- Investigate and publish the cost of rehabilitation of all national and international stakeholders involved in bush-fires
- Investigate and publish research on impact of fires on the flora and fauna of the ecosystem, and recommendations for recovery after every bush-fire
- Investigate and continue to research on causes of large scale fires and what remedies (Modern or Indigenous knowledge) assist in reducing their repeat occurrences
- Provide stricter regulation and punishment on violation of fire bans and continually share guidelines on educating the youth on how to protect one's country from further catastrophes
- Provide a right to health-safety in light of seasonal changes; and No, installation of commercial scale water-sprinklers in forests OR large scale air-purification systems is not an option for the tax payer
- Provide a 20 year nation-wide roadmap to address causes and effects of large bushfires, ecological planning, human, capital and natural resource allocation, anticipatory remedies and solutions deemed during bushfires
Silence is NOT a roadmap!
Take care and stay safe Australia - use your vote well each time you queue up for elections… make it worth the time and efforts your forefathers spent fighting for your rights.
Today: S is counting on you
S Sachar needs your help with “Members of Parliament: Australian future needs a long-term evidence-based Bushfire action plan.”. Join S and 1,290 supporters today.