Protect Our Kids From Inappropriate Sexuality Education Curriculum
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We understand Mt. Diablo Unified School District’s position to implement Puberty and Sexuality Health per CA Healthy Youth Act, but its adoption of the 3R’s Curriculum is highly inappropriate for the following reasons:
- The California Health Curriculum Framework sets forth 6 health content areas for comprehensive health curriculum; but 3R’s Curriculum focuses only on 1 content area - Sexuality Education.
- Teaching such imbalanced health curriculum with excessive sexual language is SEXUALIZING our children, and will subject them to undue influence and unnecessary harm.
- Our children need to learn "TOTAL HEALTH" which should also include the other 5 content areas (i.e. Nutrition & Physical Activity; Injury Prevention and Safety; Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs; Mental, Emotional, and Social Health; Personal & Community Health).
- Prior to the implementation of 3R’s Curriculum, no notices were given to the Mt. Diablo Unified School District parents for their input and discussion. In addition, our board never reviewed this curriculum and it was never brought before our board for a vote prior to its implementation.
- California Education Code Section 51934 only requires each public school district to offer comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education once in junior high /middle school and once in high school; further districts are NOT required by law to provide instruction for sexuality education for elementary school age children, K-6th.
- Mt. Diablo Unified School District offers sexuality health every year for 5th, 7th, and 10th grades. This excessive sexuality health instruction includes 11 lessons/40 minute lessons for each grade level, and takes valuable time away from other important programs.
- Mt Diablo Unified School District curriculum and topics for instruction linked at bottom of petition - ALL LESSON PLANS LINKED BELOW. Be sure to view class assignments, paying special attention to videos being shown, and student/parent homework in each of the linked lesson plans.
Opt-Out is NOT a Viable Option:
Even though parents are offered the option to opt-out, it is not a viable option, because the opt-out students will be subject to possible ridicules. Further, there is no clear provision of alternative curriculum in place. And, as many of our teachers told us, "Don't opt out because your kids are going to hear the content on the play ground". And, guess what? They were correct! Our kids are hearing about it on the play ground!
Our Petition - Suspend 3R’s Curriculum!
- Wait until the California Comprehensive Health Framework is complete in 2019, and Curriculum is in place by around 2020-2021; or
- Review alternative curriculum which is aligned with all 6 health curriculum content areas, and include parents in the process.
Do you want your child to be exposed to excessive sexuality information? If you are part of Mt. Diablo Unified School District, please join us by signing this petition.
Thank you for your support!
Concerned Parents of MDUSD
Content/Topics for 5th Grade Lesson Plans
11 Topics/40 minutes each lesson:
- Figuring Out Friendships
- Taking A Stand Against Bullying
- Being Clear With Your Friends
- Your Body Your Rights
- Making Sense of Puberty
- Sexual and Reproductive Anatomy
- Puberty and Reproduction
- Learning About HIV
- What is Love Anyway?
- I Am Who I Am
- Gender Roles, Gender Expectations
*** 7th and 10th Grade Sexuality Education curriculum was approved in 2016 with parent input and district discussion and vote. However, 5th Grade curriculum and content was not included in the updates the district made in prior years for 7th and 10th grade, and only implemented 5th grade without parent/board input/discussion this school year. The Superintendent says it was overlooked. Therefore no board review, discussion, or vote, and no parental input was taken up by the MDUSD Superintendent/Board prior to 3Rs - 5th grade implementation. ***
Today: wafaa is counting on you
wafaa akl needs your help with “MDUSD, Superintendent, Dr. Nellie Meyer: Stop teaching inappropriate sexuality education to 5th graders! 3Rs curriculum most go!”. Join wafaa and 224 supporters today.