Make Greenwich Peninsula roads safer
This petition had 485 supporters
The junction between John Harrison Way and West Parkside is notorious for near misses, accidents and now tragically, fatalities between pedestrians and buses. This residential area sees most buses from North Greenwich station running through it, yet has a unique convoluted road system that outside visitors – pedestrians and drivers – cannot understand. How will this road system cope when IKEA opens, 1900 people going to the council’s all-through school and Silvertown Tunnel is built – all whilst residential density increases up to the estimated 50,000 people?
Peninsula residents have raised the everyday hazards and risks to TfL, councillors, the MP, the GLA and the developers. We have told them about the regular near miss accidents involving buses hurtling through and confused drivers in the wrong lane trying to get to the O2 or Millennium and Peninsula Retail Parks. They say TfL is in charge but TfL refuse to listen or even talk to local people.
We, the undersigned, request the Mayor of London instructs TfL to review the Peninsula’s road layout urgently and change the speed limit to 10 mph to ensure children and pedestrians are safe crossing the road.
We ask that TfL works with Royal Borough of Greenwich to action:
- Install speed bumps – this is a residential zone with a primary school!
- Take action on bus drivers overtaking each other at the bus stop – as passengers are disembarking and crossing the road
- Install clear instructive signage explaining the road layout to cars and pedestrians, to understand this unusual system which leads cars on to the busway and pedestrians confused on which way to look
- Routinely fine cars parking on the double yellow lines on both West Parkside and John Harrison Way – particularly outside the gate of Millennium Primary School, further endangering children and their parents
- Increase the crossing time for at the pedestrian crossing at the junction so that pedestrians can safely cross to West Parkside in time
- Install more street lighting so pedestrians and drivers can see better in the dark.
Today: Greenwich Millennium Village - Residents Association is counting on you
Greenwich Millennium Village - Residents Association needs your help with “Mayor of London: Make Greenwich Peninsula roads safer”. Join Greenwich Millennium Village - Residents Association and 484 supporters today.