Mandatory Mask Bylaw Lethbridge Alberta Canada
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Petition for the Lethbridge City Council to impose temporary regulations requiring the wearing of masks or other face coverings within enclosed public spaces.
(Based upon CITY OF TORONTO BY-LAW 541-2020)
Whereas physical distancing is difficult to maintain in enclosed public spaces, we the under signed request that the following temporary regulations requiring businesses and organizations that have enclosed spaces open to the public adopt a policy to ensure that persons wear a mask or face covering as it is a necessary, recognized, practicable and effective method to limit the spread of COVID-19 and thereby help protect the health, safety and well-being of the residents of the Lethbridge;
The City of Lethbridge enacts:
- The Operator of an Establishment that is open to the public, shall adopt a policy as required under this By-law to ensure that no member of the public is permitted entry to, or otherwise remains within, any enclosed space within the Establishment unless the member of the public is wearing a Mask or Face Covering, in a manner which covers their mouth, nose and chin.
- The Operator of the Establishment shall, upon request, provide a copy of the policy for inspection by any person authorized to enforce this By-law.
2. (a) The policy shall include the following exemptions from the requirement to wear a Mask or Face Covering:
- Children under two years of age;
- Persons with an underlying medical condition which inhibits their ability to wear a Mask or Face Covering;
- Persons who are unable to place or remove a Mask or Face Covering without assistance;
- Employees and agents of the person responsible for the Establishment within an area designated for them and not for public access, or within or behind a physical barrier; and
- Persons who are reasonably accommodated by not wearing a Mask or Face Covering in accordance with the Alberta Human Rights Code.
2. (b) The policy shall permit the temporary removal of a Mask or Face Covering where necessary for the purpose of receiving services, or while actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity.
2. (c) Subject to the exemptions in section 2(a), the policy shall require that employees wear a Mask or Face Covering when working in the enclosed public space.
2. (d) The policy shall not require employees or members of the public to provide proof of any of the exemptions set out in section 2(a).
3. The Operator shall conspicuously post at all entrances to the Establishment clearly visible signage containing the following text:
ALL PERSONS ENTERING OR REMAINING IN THESE PREMISES SHALL WEAR A MASK OR FACE COVERING WHICH COVERS THE NOSE, MOUTH AND CHIN AS REQUIRED UNDER CITY OF LETHBRIDGE BY-LAW.
4. The Operator shall ensure that all persons working at the Establishment are trained in the requirements of the policy and this By-law.
5. Every person who contravenes any provision of this By-law is guilty of an offence, and on conviction is liable to a fine as provided for in the Provincial Offences Act.
6. In this By-law, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
"Establishment" means any of the following:
- Premises or any portion thereof which are used as a place of business for the sale or offering for sale of goods or services, and includes a mall or similar structure which contains multiple places of business;
- churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, or other places of worship;community centres including indoor recreational facilities;
- libraries, art galleries, museums, aquariums, zoos and other similar facilities;community service agencies providing services to the public;
- banquet halls, convention centres, arenas, stadiums, and other event spaces;
- premises utilized as an open house, presentation centre, or other facility for real estate purposes;
- common areas of hotels, motels and other short-term rentals, such as lobbies, elevators, meeting rooms or other common use facilities; and
- concert venues, theaters, cinemas, casinos, and other entertainment facilities
7. Despite section 6 above, the following premises are not an Establishment for purposes of this By-law even if they would otherwise fall within the definition of an Establishment:
- Schools, post-secondary institutions, and child care facilities;
- Private transportation and public transportation;
- Hospitals, independent health facilities and offices of regulated health professionals.
"Mask or Face Covering" means a mask, balaclava, bandana, scarf, cloth or other similar item that covers the nose, mouth and chin without gapping.
"Operator" means a person or organization which is responsible for or otherwise has control over the operation of an Establishment
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!