GO FORWARD WITH THE 6TH GRADE MOVE TO BERNER MIDDLE SCHOOL NOW!
This petition had 1,246 supporters
STOP the Board of Education from halting or reversing a decision that was already made 16 months ago. To do so will only harm students.
The Massapequa School District Board of Education voted to move our 6th grade students out of the elementary school and into the middle school starting September 2017. The move was recommended for its multiple benefits to students, including those in special education, by our Superintendent who have over 40 years of dedicated educational experience. The students, parents, and school district have been preparing successfully on multiple levels for the transition. A board trustee elected just this May, and a sitting board member have publicly stated that want to halt or overturn this move just before the school year starts to the detriment of students, parents and the community.
CONSEQUENCES OF NOT GOING FORWARD;
- Students emotionally harmed and lose trust in adults and educators who went back on their word; erodes students' self confidence
- Money preparing for the move wasted; cost of unwinding unknown and could involve possible lawsuits for breach of contract, etc.
- IEP's for special education students need to be renegotiated
- Lost opportunity for language, health, electives, numerous clubs, peer mentoring, etc.
- Special education students lose time from class with pull-outs
- More challenging to align with NYS curriculum which is written for grades 6-8
- Less room for expansion of YMCA and disruption of parent schedules
- Community continues to be divided until the move is finalized
**If you have already signed a paper copy of this petition, please do not sign this electronic version. You must be a resident at least 18 years of age in Massapequa School District 23 to sign**
Today: Rise Up is counting on you
Rise Up MSD 23 needs your help with “Massapequa School District Board of Education: GO FORWARD WITH THE 6TH GRADE MOVE TO BERNER MIDDLE SCHOOL NOW!”. Join Rise Up and 1,245 supporters today.