Seeking students quota reservation for Delhi domicile students in Delhi University
This petition had 261 supporters
We need to secure the future of youth of Delhi. We need to think about their need of world class education and their current problems when they travel to other parts of the country for fulfilling their aspirations.
- University of Delhi has no seats fixed for students domiciled of Delhi who are unable to obtain seats for themselves in colleges affiliated with Delhi University and have to compete with students seeking admission for the same courses coming from other parts of the country.
- Every year thousands of Delhi students have to move to other states seeking admission in under-graduate study program outside Delhi.
- Delhi domicile students end up paying heavy tuition fee to private institutions outside Delhi because they do not get a seat in DU; this causes a big financial burden on their parents.
- If Delhi University is giving 75% Delhi domicile reservation in post-graduate medical courses for the students hailing from Delhi who have completed their studies in Delhi; it is also legal and justified to ask the same kind of reservation (even if lesser quota) in under-graduate courses.
- The law clearly states that reservation whether based on domicile or institution in the matter of admission in courses is not unconstitutional.
- Delhi University is a Central University in name; all the grants and funding for the same comes from Delhi government. So legally, students domiciled in Delhi should be given a preference for admission.
We have noticed the parents’ and students’ problems while getting admission in undergraduate courses in colleges affiliated with Delhi University, in particular for students who have the domicile of Delhi. Till date the students domiciled in Delhi have to travel to various parts of the country to seek admissions after passing their higher senior secondary exams; most of the states in India such as Assam, Karnataka, Goa, Tamil Nadu etc. have reservation based on domicile in their universities.
Hon’ble Supreme Court of India has also held that reservation by way of institutional preference is valid and has declared it to be constitutional by directing other states to follow.
Now is the time when we need to strive to achieve a goal of excellence which in turn would mean that meritorious students should not be denied pursuit of higher studies. Keeping in mind the duties of the State contained in Article 41 and 49 of the Constitution, we seek maximum public support for this petition.
In the case of Saurabh Chowdhary & Ors. Vs. Union of India & Ors. Hon’ble Supreme Court has affirmed the constitutionality of reservation, whether based on domicile or institution, so there is no reason why Delhi University is not acting in the interest of the students of Delhi by fixing a quota for them in Delhi University and its affiliated colleges, knowing that such reservation criteria is being followed by Delhi University in PG medical courses.
There are around 28 colleges affiliated to Delhi University are funded by the exchequers of Delhi so we request all Delhi domiciled people to sign this petition asking preference in favour of Delhi domicile students to be considered over other students coming from outside.
If you care for the future of Delhi’s youth and wish to see your child in Delhi getting admission for undergraduate course in one of the affiliated colleges of Delhi University, please sign this petition. Let us make it a mission to secure a bright future by getting students quota reservation for Delhi domicile students in Delhi University.
Manjinder Singh Sirsa & Parvesh Verma
Today: Manjinder Singh is counting on you
Manjinder Singh Sirsa needs your help with “Manjinder Singh : Admission Quota for Delhi Domicile Students in Delhi University”. Join Manjinder Singh and 260 supporters today.