RESPECT THE RIGHT OF 13,000 WORKERS OF PT.PINDO DELI PULP & PAPER MILLS
This petition had 133 supporters
13. 000 WORKERS OF PT. PINDO DELI, WEST JAVA INDONESIA GOING ON STRIKE STARTING ON JUNE 4, 2012
Paper Workers Union of PT. Pindo Deli (SPK PD) decided to hold second strike commencing on June 4, 2012 at 00. 00 am that will last for 14 days. This decision taken after a deadlock on wage negotiation held after the first strike. The Management of PT. Pindo Deli failed to positively respond the workers union’s (SPK PD) demand to raise the wages of workers based on the working appraisal /performance or commonly known as End-Year Assessment. The response of the management is a denial on the commitment they made when the workers held first strike on May 7 – 8th 2012.
PT Pindo Deli, a paper company with world-class production capacities, is a subsidiary of Sinar Mas Group and has become a very important part of Asian Pulp & Paper (APP) companies. As the major-class exporter for the American, Europe and Asian countries markets, this company employs not less than 13.000 workers.
The strike again is the last choice decided by the union when the door of negotiation has been closed or met dead lock. The company has neglected the demand submitted by the union to raise the workers wages by 18%, comprising of the wage increase due to the deviation of raise on the Regional Minimum Wages 2012 of Karawang District and raise upon the workers’ working appraisal. This formula of wage proposed by the union has become important aspect since the company has never given rewards or recognition to workers who had been serving for years. The current applicable system only allows wage raise of 16,000 rupiahs (2 US $) per year for workers who have been working for more than 20 years.
In addition to the wage issues, SPK PD is also drafting a master plan for many other issues, as follows:
1. Issue on systemic “lay-offs’ implemented through a quota system or commonly known as Triple C Assessment, where workers who earn C for 3 consecutive years will be laid off.
2. Issue on discrimination where Foreign Workers received significant amount of wages and an abundance of facilities without any clear classification on their expertise, in contrary to the local workers who only received very low wages.
3. Issue on contract/outsourcing system applied in large numbers of workers (of 13, 000 workers, half of them confirmed as contract-based/outsourcing)
4. Issue on Protection of freedom to associate for workers
5. Issue on the untransparent system of career developments and promotion.
The Federation of Trade Unions of Pulp and Paper Indonesia (FSP2KI), as an affiliate has called for supports from many paper / pulp companies, members of FSP2KI related to this strike. This will also be a momentum to unite all workers in the paper companies under the Sinar Mas Group of whom are expected to join the strike as well. All workers in SINAR MAS GROUP companies must make the momentum of PINDO DELI strike as the wake-up call for widely national struggle, for compiling CBA and for building up the road to common welfare.
In addition, The Central Board of the National Union Confederation (DPP KSN) will certainly give their full support to this strike by mobilizing political power nationally as well as internationally, among others by:
1. Urging the Minister of Manpower and Trnasmigration and the Commission IX of DPR RI to intervene soon and give a way-out to the problems in Sinar Mas Group immediately.
2. Urging the Chief of Indonesian Police to provide guarantee on the security of all workers on strike
3. Instructing all Federation members and DPW KSN all over Indonesia to conduct rallies/actions massively in companies under Sinar Mas Group, including by occupying Sinar Mas Banks in major cities in Indonesia
4. Conducting International Campaign to call for international supports.
SPK PD, FSP2KI, DPP KSN believes that the strike in Pindo Deli will be the trigger of labour struggle against the unjust and unfair employment system in companies under Sinar Mas Group and will evoke solidarity widely. In turn, the general strike in all companies under Sinar Mas Group will be the common choice for fighting for the welfare of all workers of Sinar Mas Group.
So, we called for supports for the success of this strike with the following statements:
1. To All Workers of PT. Pindo Deli to unite in a single command under the leadership of SPK PD, FSP2KI and KSN
2. To All members of the KSN to support the strike of PT Pindo Deli Workers by conducting actions /rallies
3. To the Minister of Manpower of RI and the Commision IX of House of Representatives to take political steps immediately to solve the problems in Sinar Mas Group
4. To the Regent and the Chairman of the Parliament of Karawang to take concrete and real actions to save the condition of the workers of PT. Pindo Deli as the largest tax-payer for Karawang District
5. To the Chief of Indonesian Police to provide guarantees on the security for all workers on strike
6. To National and International Networks to mobilize supports for the success of this strike.
With the faith in the power of The WORKERS UNITE, CAN NOT BE DEFEATED, we declare the STRIKE is the only way and choice not to negotiate.
EXACTLY AT 00. 00 am on June 4, 2012,
ALL MACHINES IN PT PINDO DELI WILL BE STOPPED OPERATING.
WORKERS UNITE CAN NOT BE DEFEATED, LABORS RULE PEOPLE’s PROSPEROUS
BANGKIT MELAWAN ATAU TUNDUK TERTINDAS
KSN: COME FORWARD! FIGHT! WIN!
Karawang, 24 May 2012
NATIONAL CENTER, KONFEDERASI SERIKAT NASIONAL (KSN)
Ir. Ahmad Daryoko (Presiden)
Khamid Istakhori (Sekjen)
CENTRAL BOARD OF FSP2KI
H. Hamdani (President)
Etin Rodiana (General Secretary)
BOARD OF SPK PD
M. Arief (Secretary)
Today: Asian TNC Monitoring Network is counting on you
Asian TNC Monitoring Network needs your help with “Top Management of Sinar Mas Group Indonesia: RESPECT THE RIGHT OF 13,000 WORKERS OF PT.PINDO DELI PULP & PAPER MILLS”. Join Asian TNC Monitoring Network and 132 supporters today.