Surfer Hijacked and Murdered - oppose bail

0 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!

On Wednesday 08 May a surfer had just finished a surf session near Scarborough outside Cape Town when he was hijacked at gun point and later murdered.

One suspect has been detained by South African Police services and the community are requesting that bail is denied. 

Please sign the petition.




A suspect, Wilson Wilschut, appeared in the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court yesterday, where he faces charges of murder, robbery with aggravated circumstances, and illegal possession of a firearm.

The man murdered has now been named as 38-year-old David Wolfromm, who was returning to his car after a surf at the popular Witsands spot (pictured above) when he was accosted, shot, and later burnt alive.

We covered the details of the tragic murder here, although, at the time, both suspects were still at large.

Here’s TimesLIVE with details from yesterday’s court appearance:

Dressed in a black Adidas sweater and sporting a goatee beard, the 30-year-old listened as the state prosecutor recounted testimony linking him to David Wolfromm’s murder between Scarborough and Ocean View, in the southern Cape Peninsula.

Included in the evidence were witness statements from two women whom Wilschut allegedly picked up near Witsand to “show off his new car” on the evening of May 8.
That’s the quality of human we are dealing with here. Having shot a man, who now lay covered by a towel in the back seat, Wilschut was interested in impressing two women.

The prosecution then laid out how Wilschut, along with his accomplice, who is still on the run, told the women not to worry about the body in the back:

According to the state, Wilschut crashed into another vehicle and the driver gave chase as the accused sped towards Soetwater, near Kommetjie.

The witnesses claim to have shouted at the accused to let them out. When the car stopped, the driver of the other vehicle was hot on their trail and Wilschut allegedly threatened him with a firearm.

After that, the witness said Wilschut asked his accomplice for a lighter and set Wolfromm’s car on fire with him inside.

When emergency services extinguished the fire they found Wolfromm, 38, in the car with a bullet wound.
Acting on information received, the police arrested Wilschut on Saturday, who was found with a .38 special revolver.

Wilschut’s bail application hearing will now take place next Tuesday, May 21.