Fund Quality of Life Services in Macon-Bibb
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
As citizens and taxpayers of Macon-Bibb, we are advocating for the FY2019 budget to be amended so that it includes funding for Quality of Life Services.
These services include: Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority, Macon-Bibb Parks and Recreation, Middle Georgia Regional Library System, Department of Family & Child Services, Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful Commission, Museum of Arts & Sciences, Tubman African American Museum, Macon Arts Alliance, Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, Planning & Zoning, Macon-Bibb Parks and Beautification, Urban Development Authority, Industrial Authority, Land Bank Authority, Community Enhancement Authority, Board of Physical Health, Board of Mental Health, Navicent, Citizens Advocacy, Meals on Wheels, Middle Georgia Food Bank, Economic Opportunity Council, and Historic Douglass Theatre.
There are 45 days to get a solution on the books that will ensure
- 2000 seniors have access to food,
- 3000+ employees have dependable public transportation to work,
- 10,000+ individuals have access to quality and consistent behavioral healthcare,
- Hundreds of children have access to safe home environments and resources to protect their quality of life,
- Thousands of children, seniors, and adults have access to recreation, sports, healthy lifestyle activities, clean and safe parks and a sense of community,
- Thousands more have access to education essentials like libraries, museums, and cultural institutions,
- Every citizen has access to a healthy and vibrant community.
With 27% of the city living below the poverty line, these cuts will create lasting impacts, especially for residents who are most disadvantaged. Expect to see the poverty rate increase along with the unemployment rate. Expect for talent attraction and retention efforts to stall. Expect business development and industry to take a hit as well. And while we have steadily improved our graduation rate to 79%, expect to see that decline. We know that crime will most definitely increase as well, expect to divert more funding in next year's budget to the court system if we don't amend this budget.
Commissioners, we want a community that thrives. Cutting these services will undoubtedly have a negative impact on that ability. We understand that this will mean an increase in our taxes. But we are coming together to state that we care about our community. If it means we need to chip in a little extra, we will, in order to ensure equitable access to quality of life in Macon-Bibb.
Please amend the budget to increase the millage rate to an appropriate rate (of at least 3.7) that can include these services, add to the fund balance, and restore our sense of community.
Today: Tonja is counting on you
Tonja Khabir needs your help with “Macon-Bibb County Commission: Fund Quality of Life Services in Macon-Bibb”. Join Tonja and 1,062 supporters today.