No More Violence in Our City - Stop Maple Leaf Slaughterhouse in London, Ontario
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500!
Maple Leaf is opening another facility - another slaughterhouse - here in London, Ontario. This is horrible news despite how the media is attempting to frame it in the humans favour. The closure of the St Mary's plant as well as the Toronto and Brampton facilities will result in a net loss of 300 jobs overall. These are jobs that nobody wants and nobody should have. These industries cause harm on every level, from psychological impact on the individuals working the kill floor - the ones committing violent acts on our behalf - to the physical unnecessary harm to the animal victims we slaughter for pleasure and profit.
A 2009 study by criminologist Amy Fitzgerald from the University of Windsor investigated the effects of slaughterhouse employment on crime rates: The findings indicate that slaughterhouse employment increases total arrest rates, arrests for violent crimes, arrests for rape, and arrests for other sex offenses in comparison with other industries.
Tell the Mayor and let our community know that we will not be silent and welcome more violence into our community.
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES REGARDING PLANNED PROTESTS, VIGILS AND WAYS TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST THIS VIOLENCE.
INFO ABOUT SLAUGHTERHOUSE IMPACT ON WORKERS AND COMMUNITY:
- The harrowing psychological toll of slaughterhouse work
- Slaughterhouses and Increased Crime Rates
- Slaughterhouse Workers Have PTSD From Killing Animals. Here’s Why That Matters...
- Probing the link between slaughterhouses and violent crime
- Killing for a Living: Psychological and Physiological Effects of Alienation of Food Production on Slaughterhouse Workers
- Community Has Beef With Polluting Slaughterhouse
- Environmental and Health Impacts from Slaughter Houses Located on the City Outskirts: A Case Study
- Health & Environmental Impacts of Slaughter Houses’ Condition on Society – A Case Study of Hyderabad City
- Lives On The Line - The Human Cost of Cheap Chicken
- The Environmental Impact of the Animal Product Processing Industries
MEDIA LINKS ABOUT THE NEW FACILITY:
SLAUGHTERHOUSE WORKER SUPPORT LINE: 1-800-510-6289
Today: London Chicken Save is counting on you
London Chicken Save needs your help with “London Save Movement: No More Violence in Our City - Stop Maple Leaf Slaughterhouse in London, Ontario”. Join London Chicken Save and 5,088 supporters today.