Support Proposed Hotel Development at Lake & Emerson in Minneapolis, MN
This petition had 478 supporters
A 6-story hotel has been proposed in Uptown, on the southeast corner of Lake St and Emerson Ave S. Despite working with the neighborhood and reducing the height, addressing alley exit concerns, and adding landscape buffering, the CARAG neighborhood voted to oppose the development as it will be proposed to the Minneapolis Planning Commission, tentatively set for February 8, 2016, and City Council afterward.
We believe the city should approve this hotel design. The current design:
- Provides a low-cost place for guests of neighbors to stay, an amenity that is sorely lacking in the Uptown area
- Helps connect the Uptown core at Hennepin and Lake with the LynLake commercial district along with other recent mixed-use developments along Lake Street.
- Enhances the sidewalk on the south side of Lake Street with more sidewalk space, seating, and bike racks.
- Adds pedestrian traffic to Lake Street, providing more customers and diners for local businesses, while helping calm Lake Street.
- Brings new jobs in an established transit corridor, serving many moderate- and low-income residents across Minneapolis and St Paul. This area is also well-served to the region by bicycle via the Midtown Greenway with exits at Girard and Bryant Avenues.
- Adds a small-scale restaurant serving primarily hotel guests and neighbors within walking or biking distance.
- Supports the growing Uptown office market’s business travel needs
In addition to these benefits to the neighborhood and city, the design meets the spirit and intent of both the Minneapolis Comprehensive Plan and local neighborhood plans, while incorporating feedback from residents gathered at multiple neighborhood meetings over the past few months. Its location and design are broadly consistent with the city's policies on locating growth on transit corridors, and supports both the Uptown and Lyn-Lake Small Area Plans' visions of density in the core stepping down to the neighborhood. While the requested 6 story, 69.5’ height exceeds the Uptown Small Area Plan’s guidance for shorter buildings south of Lake, the proposed structure does step down on the south side from 6 to 5 stories (58’) with generous landscaping to buffer the structure from its neighbors. The request to re-zone to C3A is only to allow for a hotel with more than 20 rooms and has nothing to do with height (C2 and C3A have the same limit of 4 stories and 56’). The rear-yard setback variance request is in keeping with the Uptown Small Area Plan’s Urban Village frontage intent along a commercial corridor.
Please sign this petition if you believe this hotel as proposed is a positive addition to the greater Uptown area and the City of Minneapolis as a whole. You can contact your council member, City Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Lisa Bender (Ward 10 Council Member and Planning Commissioner) specifically. You can also testify in person at the Planning Commission meeting on February 8th.
Today: Forward Minneapolis is counting on you
Forward Minneapolis needs your help with “email@example.com: Support Proposed Hotel Development at Lake & Emerson in Minneapolis, MN”. Join Forward Minneapolis and 477 supporters today.