The Limpopo department of health MEC is refusing to hire professional nurses and allied professionals in the province as she says there is no shortage of health professionals in limpopo, But we hear of incidents where certain wards are ran by staff nurses with not even a single sister on the shift, women are experiencing a trauma of giving birth unattended because only 2 midwives are available in a maternity ward catering about 20 patients. Some patients find themselves at the situation where no one is attending them. Clinics 'patients and clients stays longer queues with slower service rate and long waiting period as nurses are under staffed. The MEC stands on her word of saying there is no need of hiring more health professionals in limpopo. About 405 professional nurses were trained by Limpopo department of health to become integrated nurses but today the MEC is refusing to appoint them to relieve the overwork burden, Limpopo Nurses are facing and to improve nurse patients care in the province. According to our understanding the MEC is disrespecting the nursing profession and other allied health professionals. Her arrogance doesn't only affect health professionals but those who needs health services. The MEC alleged that there is no money to appoint nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, etc... but she managed to appoint doctors. The different treatment of health disciplines from the MEC is negatively affecting the health standard of the province.
Just To add on other issues affecting limpopo department of health because the list is endless...
1. We find it very myopic and disturbing for the whole MEC who lacks political will to interven in the time ticking bomb which is about to explode in our beloved Limpopo.
The shortage of health care professionals (viz Nurses, Medical doctors, and all allied health care professionals) our province is alarming
The immature move by the province of not absorbing all comserves shows the ignorance of our Honourable MEC will lead to more preventable deaths in our province, we don't want our province to experience the life esidimeni which the then MEC of Health in Guateng chose to ignore the advice she was given.
2. It's sad that our very own senior health professionals glorify overtime hence they are facing exhaustion which results in preventable death.
Clinics are forced to do call systems do to shortage of nurses.
3. She denies that we are in crisis but we are faced with shortage of ambulances and ems personel, shortage of medications in facilities , pharmacies no longer operating 24/7.
4. Closing of limpipo nursing collegese
5. We think she is tired, hence she abruptly captured all those who are vocal in unions which represents health care workers. she is abruntly removing exprienced clinical mangers, nursing managers and CEO's with inexperience union leaders.