- Jimmie ÅkessonChairman, Sweden Democrats
- Lars Åkerlund1st VP, Social Board
- Hanna WesterenPresident, Social Board
- Anna KlappePublic Affairs Koordinator, Rädda Barnen
- Jan BjörklundLeader, Swedish Liberal People's Party
- Lars OhlyChairman, Swedish Left Party
- Göran HägglundLeader, Christian Democrats of Sweden
- Maud OlofssonLeader, Swedish Centre Party
- Håkan JuholtLeader, Swedish Social Democratic Workers' Party
- Gustav FridolinCo-spokesperson, Swedish Green Party
- Asa RomsonCo-spokesperson, Swedish Green Party
- Fredrik ReinfeldtPrime Minister of Sweden
- Stefan Wramner2nd VP, Social Board
Let’s put Domenic, Homeschooling, and Human Rights at the center of the Visby Festival of Politics
A little boy was unjustly separated from his parents because of homeschooling.
From July 3 through 10th, Swedish elected officials, journalists, and political activists will gather in Visby, Domenic Johansson's home town, for a major “Festival of Politics.” Politicians will be making important speeches, and hundreds of official and unofficial meetings will be taking place. Let’s make sure that the tragedy of Domenic’s separation from his parents is brought to light at this major event. Please sign this petition to Sweden's elected officials and top politicians, to bring these important questions to the forefront during this major political conference.
On June 25th of 2009, officials of Gotland, Sweden boarded a plane bound for India and removed Domenic Johansson from his parents’ custody without a warrant or reasonable cause to believe that he was being harmed. The supposed crime? Choosing to home school Domenic and to delay or decline certain immunizations! Home schooling was legal at the time in Sweden (although it has recently been banned), and historically parents have always been given the option to legally delay or decline immunizations if they thought it in the best interest of their particular child or children. Even if there were a legal issue over homeschooling or using an alternative vaccination schedule, those would NOT have been justifiable reasons to remove a child from his home and loving family where he was healthy and happy.
This child has been away from his parents for TWO YEARS. During this time Domenic has suffered tremendously, and all over a political dispute about homeschooling. This is an outrage! Domenic must be returned to his family immediately, and the LVU (Sweden's Child Services) must be reformed so no other families must suffer from discrimination for unconventional, but healthy, lifestyle choices.
We are asking these politicians to discuss the urgency of reunification of the Johansson family, and the need for reform of the Swedish Child Services policies that allow such a tragedy to occur, during this important political conference.
- Chairman, Sweden Democrats
- 1st VP, Social Board
- President, Social Board
- Public Affairs Koordinator, Rädda Barnen
- Leader, Swedish Liberal People's Party
- Chairman, Swedish Left Party
- Leader, Christian Democrats of Sweden
- Leader, Swedish Centre Party
- Leader, Swedish Social Democratic Workers' Party
- Co-spokesperson, Swedish Green Party
- Co-spokesperson, Swedish Green Party
- Prime Minister of Sweden
- 2nd VP, Social Board
Many important political discussions will be taking place in Visby this week at the Almedalsveckan 2011 Political Festival, and we ask you to include the human rights case of Domenic Johansson among them.
Domenic is a nine year old boy who was removed from his family unjustly, despite lack of evidence of neglect or abuse, over a political and philosophical dispute regarding homeschooling. When Domenic was removed from his family, two years ago, homeschooling was still legal in Sweden AND his parents have since committed to sending him to school. Incomprehensibly, the child is still separated from his loving parents. His case has still not been heard in the European Court for Human Rights.
We ask that you intervene to reunite this family. They have suffered so much for so little reason. During this political conference, will you have time to discuss these questions?
* When will Domenic Johansson be returned to his loving parents?
* Why does Swedish law allow a child’s physical and emotional health to be sacrificed over political issues such as homeschooling?
* Who will step up to reform LVU (Children’s Services) to honor the rights of loving, functional families to stay together, so the agency will focus instead on their primary job of protecting those children who are actually being abused and endangered?
This family has been torn apart, and needs your help to be reunited. Please do all that you can to help this little boy get back home.
Marija Mikolajczak started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,220 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.