Let's Make Dublin City University Single-Use Plastic Free!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
The goal of this petition is to eliminate the use and sale of single-use plastics on DCU campuses. This includes cutlery, cups, bottles, straws, bags, and packaging made from disposable, non-compostable plastics.
Last year, DCU successfully divested funds from harmful fossil fuel companies, this year we, want Change again!
1. Remove single-use plastics across campuses.
2. Introduce the sale of reusable, sustainable alternatives to single-use plastics.
3. Introduce recycling centers in each building, including compost bins, removing the need for general waste bins in every classroom.
4. Increase the number of water-fountains and introduce cup-washing stations around campus for reusable coffee cups.
5. Increase awareness on campus about the damaging effects of single-use plastic consumption.
Single-use plastics are only used once before they are binned and never used again. Worldwide only 10% of all disposable plastic is recycled, and due to the durable nature of plastic, it is not biodegradable. This means it inevitably ends up in our environment, and water systems. Being one of the most influential institutions in the country, it is our responsibility to lead in the fight against disposable plastic.
If you are student, alumni or staff, we ask that you use your DCU e-mail address. And all other concerned members of the public are welcomed to sign too!
Today: Sustainable living Society DCU is counting on you
Sustainable living Society DCU needs your help with “Let's Make Dublin City University Single-Use Plastic Free!”. Join Sustainable living Society DCU and 1,200 supporters today.