End SFSU cooperation with An-Najah. Universities should not support glorifying terrorism.
This petition had 3,441 supporters
We, the undersigned, petition San Francisco State University (SFSU) President Leslie Wong to take immediate action to end SFSU’s memorandum of understanding (MOU) with An-Najah University in the West Bank. Described by Hamas as a “greenhouse for martyrs,” Najah is a Palestinian university where incitement to violence, anti-Semitism, and the glorification of terrorism against Israelis is routine:
- Matthew Levitt, director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, notes that Najah is known for “terrorist recruitment, indoctrination and radicalization of students.”
- According to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), Najah’s student council “glorifies suicide bombings and propagandizes for jihad against Israel.”
- At least two events were held on campus to honor “martyred” terrorists in 2016.
- In 2015, Najah student Maram Hassoneh was killed attempting her second knife attack on IDF soldiers.
- Najah suspended its 2015 student elections indefinitely for fear of a Hamas victory.
- At Najah’s June 2014 graduation ceremony, students held up three fingers to represent Hamas’s kidnapping of three Israeli teens.
- In 2013, an entire Najah graduating class was named after Abu Jihad, the founder of Fatah and mastermind of countless terror attacks.
- The names of 19 “shaheeds” (deceased terrorists), all Najah students, appeared on the back cover of a 2004 “information kit.”
- Najah students constructed a gruesome replica of the 2001 Sbarro pizzeria Jerusalem suicide bombing.
Professor Rabab Abdulhadi, director of SFSU’s Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diaspora Initiative (AMED), is the architect of the MOU with Najah. Abdulhadi has a record as an anti-Israel activist and an apologist for Palestinian terrorism:
- Abdulhadi is a founding member of the US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel.
- She consorted with individuals affiliated with State Department-designated terrorist organizations during a 2014 “Academic and Labor Delegation to Palestine” to meet with Najah representatives and was accused of improper use of university funds for the trip.
- Abdulhadi’s service as faculty advisor for SFSU’s General Union of Palestine Students (GUPS) included the display of stencils adorned with the disturbing motto, “My Heroes Have Always Killed Colonizers” and an FBI investigation into former GUPS president Mohammad G. Hammad for making violent online threats against Israelis and Jews.
- ·Her Academia.edu profile page features a graphic calling for a “Third Palestinian Intifada” (a threat that has metastasized into the current “stabbing intifada”) and a raised fist.
Abdulhadi has pledged to set up a student exchange program with Najah, posing a significant security risk to SFSU students, faculty, and the wider community.
We, the undersigned, call on President Wong to terminate this relationship with Najah now, and to ensure that no SFSU personnel enter into or support relationships with Najah or similar entities that support Hamas or other terrorist organizations in the future.
Furthermore, we, the undersigned, strongly urge the California State University (CSU) system to investigate this infamous MOU and make public its terms. We also call on the California state legislature to conduct hearings into this matter.
Tell them what you think!
Today: Middle East Forum is counting on you
Middle East Forum needs your help with “Leslie Wong : End SFSU cooperation with An-Najah. Universities should not support glorifying terrorism.”. Join Middle East Forum and 3,440 supporters today.