Stop Selling Rabbit Meat
0 have signed. Let’s get to 10,000!
What would you do if you saw cat or dog meat in a store? Most people would be completely disgusted, because cats and dogs are the most popular pets in the United States.
So if it's considered barbaric to sell the meat of cats or dogs, why is it considered okay to sell the meat of the third most popular pet in the United States, the rabbit?
This petition focuses on Kroger, which used to be one of my favorite stores to shop at until I saw that they were selling rabbit meat, specifically, Pel-Freez rabbit meat.
According to an undercover study done by the LCA, (Last Chance for Animals), Pel-Freez workers:
· Hit the rabbits on the head with the dull edge of a knife, which often doesn't knock them unconscious as it is supposed to
· Break the rabbits' rear legs
· Hang the rabbits upside down
· Stun them (this is usually done improperly, meaning the rabbits remain fully conscious)
· Decapitate the rabbits- depending on how sharp their knives are, this may take anywhere from one slice to a repeated sawing motion that makes rabbits scream in pain until their vocal cords are severed
There are no breeds of rabbits that are exclusively, "Meat rabbits." The breeds primarily used as "Meat rabbits," are New Zealand rabbits, and Californian Rabbits, (as shown above in picture). In fact, New Zealand rabbits are the 8th most common rabbit breed kept as pets!
There is no reason that we should be eating an animal that is kept as a pet by millions of people nationwide!
So what can you do?
1. Stop buying rabbit meat if you do
2. Sign this petition!
3. Share this petition with everyone you know
4. Donate to the GoFundMe Page by clicking here
5. Send a letter to Kroger urging them to stop the sale of rabbit meat
The Kroger Co.
1014 Vine Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1100
6. Consider shopping at one of the following grocery stores instead of Kroger
The Fresh Market- http://www.thefreshmarket.com/
Trader Joe's- http://www.traderjoes.com/
If you prefer another grocery store, look online, or call them to see if they sell rabbit meat.
7. Like and share this Facebook page:
If you sign this petition, consider telling Kroger if you're going to shop at a different store, and how much business they're losing by losing you.
If you feel strongly about this issue, I urge you to complete the steps above and sign some of these other petitions that have been set up to stop production and commercialization of rabbit meat in other stores and companies.
These are only some of them. You can find many more by simply searching the word, "Rabbit" in the search bar of change.org.
Thank you for signing this petition and setting us one step closer to stopping the sale of rabbit meat at Kroger.
"Rabbit Slaughterhouse Investigation - Last Chance for ..." 2015. 4 Aug. 2015 <http://www.lcanimal.org/index.php/investigations/investigations-in-the-field/rabbit-slaughterhouse-investigation>
“Californian Rabbit- A Californian Rabbit with Several Kits” 2015. 4 Aug. 2015 <http://t3.gstatic.com/imagesq=tbn:ANd9GcRlGpOaqamh0S4aE4sC6zB9CllhoAzTSRCSwV6IhbGXaqa2eWZc>
"How Many Pet Rabbits Are There in the US? - House Rabbit ..." 2014. 4 Aug. 2015 <http://rabbit.org/how-many-pet-rabbits-are-there-in-the-u-s/>
"10 Popular Pet Rabbit Breeds - Small Pets Tips ... - Mom.me." 2015. 4 Aug. 2015 <http://mom.me/pets/small-pets/19118-popular-pet-rabbit-breeds/>
Today: Anna is counting on you
Anna MacLennan needs your help with “Kroger: Stop Selling Rabbit Meat”. Join Anna and 9,474 supporters today.