Kraft: Stop Using Dangerous Food Dyes in Our Mac & Cheese
This petition made change with 362,422 supporters!
Hi there, this is Vani Hari from Food Babe. I recently discovered that several American products are using harmful additives that are not used – and in some cases banned – in other countries. One of those products is an iconic staple that almost every American, us included, has had at one time or another: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the US contains the artificial food dyes Yellow 5 and Yellow 6. These unnecessary – yet potentially harmful - dyes are not in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in other countries, including the UK, because they were removed due to consumer outcry. Kraft reformulated their product for the UK, but not for their fellow American citizens.
It’s time we demand the same here in the US!
Note: Yellow 5 (labeled asTartrazine) is also used in these products in Canada, and I'm sure they don't want to have it in their food either!
That's why I'm petitioning Kraft to remove all dangerous artificial food dyes from their line of macaroni and cheese.
Here are the reasons I'm asking Kraft to remove Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 from their Macaroni and Cheese.
Artificial food dyes...
- Are man-made in a lab with chemicals derived from petroleum (a crude oil product, which also happens to be used in gasoline, diesel fuel, asphalt, and tar).
- Require a warning label in other countries outside the US.
- Have been banned in countries like Norway and Austria (and are being phased out in the UK).
- Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 are contaminated with known carcinogens (a.k.a. an agent directly involved in causing cancer).
- Cause an increase in hyperactivity in children.
- Have a negative impact on children’s ability to learn.
- Have been linked to long-term health problems such as asthma, skin rashes, and migraines.
- Add absolutely no nutritional value to the foods we are eating and are solely used for aesthetic purposes only.
To prove this last point I personally tested both the US and UK versions of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and found virtually no difference in color or taste (see the video above).
I grew up eating this product, and it’s available at almost every grocery store across the country.
Everyone deserves the same safer version that our friends get overseas!
Kraft Foods is the largest food company headquartered in the United States. If Kraft changes their Macaroni and Cheese, I know this could inspire other food companies across the US to finally eliminate dangerous artificial food dyes once and for all.
Join me now and sign this petition. Together we can make a difference.
Today: Vani is counting on you
Vani Hari needs your help with “Kraft: Stop Using Dangerous Food Dyes in Our Mac & Cheese”. Join Vani and 362,421 supporters today.