Keep the Basalt Shooting Range Closed
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
This is a “Local’s Only” petition: By signing this petition, you are affirming that you LIVE IN A PROPERTY, OWN A PROPERTY, or OWN A BUSINESS located in these local areas: Basalt, El Jebel, Missouri Heights, Emma, Blue Lake, Dakota or Cerise Ranch.
There are many reasons why the community is concerned about the current location of the Shooting Range in Basalt, Colorado. Simply put, the Basalt Shooting Range is inappropriate for its current location and needs to remain closed.
Among the reasons why the shooting range is a public safety and health concern to community members:
- This is the 2nd fire at the shooting range in six years (August 4, 2012 and most recently July 3, 2018).
- People in the community who want a shooting range can work with local and state officials to find a suitable alternate location.
- The range is surrounded by flammables: dry grass, pinon, juniper, houses and commercial buildings.
- The range is adjacent to an electrical substation and major power lines serving Basalt & Aspen.
- Decreased property values for 100’s of homes due to fire damage on hillsides and scenic vistas.
- Increased property insurance premiums due to the fires.
- Over $16.8 million dollars: The cost of the fire fighting effort (as of Aug. 8).
- Over $600 million dollars: The value of the at-risk property in the recently evacuated areas, 1,323 structures, 1000’s of people evacuated.
- 12,588 acres of wilderness and wildlife habitat have been destroyed (as of Aug. 8, 2018).
- Serious, negative impacts to our tourism economy, during the fire and for many years to come.
- 76 power poles were destroyed or damaged, jeopardizing the valley’s power supply.
- The range is located less than 1 mile from the elementary, middle and high schools; with gunshots heard seven days a week.
Data from: Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center, Eagle County GIS, Eagle County Assessor, articles in the Aspen Times and Aspen Daily News
If you agree, please sign this petition.
Please share the petition link with your friends!
Today: Midvalley Residents is counting on you
Midvalley Residents needs your help with “Keep the Basalt Shooting Range Closed”. Join Midvalley Residents and 954 supporters today.