A 6 year old little girl was raped in her school this week. 2 school staffers have been accused of this unforgivable act and yet this Bangalore school’s first response was to deny any responsibility!
As a mother of a 3 year old girl, I am shocked, scared and outraged. My little girl goes to a private school in Bangalore and I am extremely worried for her safety.
Our children spend several hours in the school every day. It is the school’s responsibility to impose security measures for the safety of children. If we trust them with our children, they should ensure they have the conditions to keep them safe.
I started this petition asking the Education Minister of Karnataka, Kimmane Ratnakar to issue a directive to all schools in Bangalore to impose security measures for the safety of children.
The education minister has the authority to make all schools in Karnataka more accountable. Ask him to issue a directive that all the schools must
- Take full responsibility for the safety and security of all children during school hours
- Form a sexual harassment committee comprising of teachers and parents
- Conduct full background checks for all the employed and contractual staff
- Install CCTV cameras in and around the school compound
- Personal Safety Education program in the school curriculum that includes training the teachers and non-teaching staff
This is about our precious children. This is the least we can ask from the schools!
Join me in asking the Education Minister of Karnataka, Kimmane Ratnakar to issue a directive to all schools in Bangalore to impose security measures for the safety of children.
pic credit: The Hindu
Pavithra Shetty started this petition with a single signature, and won with 155,580 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.