Preserve and protect the Arbutus menziesii located at the southwest corner of the Landscape Annex on the campus of UBC.
This petition made change with 175 supporters!
· This specific Arbutus tree is designated as a “Special Tree” on the UBC campus, and the Vancouver Campus Plan Design Guidelines state “Every reasonable effort should be made to protect the following special trees in particular:" As such, its continued presence and health should be incorporated into the design of the Vantage College project, and every measure should be taken to protect and ensure its continued well being.
· This specific Arbutus tree is a mature tree - a rare Arbutus on UBC campus. It is a member of a slow growing species, averaging 5-6 growth rings per centimeter; with a growth range running along the western coast of the United States and into the southern portions of British Columbia.
· This tree, specifically, is part of the plant identification class and tours that all first year students in the masters of landscape program are required to attend. It is included in the plant walks to facilitate the students with an understanding of the tree's mature size and shape as the species grows and develops.
· Knowledge of plants is a major part of developing a strong career in Landscape Architecture. It is important to see the mature size of the plants, and the Arbutus menziesii is the best representative of its species on UBC campus.
· It is proposed to place an immature Acer griseum (paperbark maple), which are numerous on UBC campus, in the same location as the mature and much more rare Arbutus for the Vantage College landscape deisgn.
· The proposed Vantage College project has already destoryed the orchard gardens, a heritage landscape on UBC campus. Continued removal and erasure of landscapes injures the Landscape Architecture program, as well as, erodes the stories of place which are important to generate a connection between past and present alumnii of UBC.
Today: Christopher is counting on you
Christopher Szymberski needs your help with “Karen Russel: Preserve and protect the Arbutus menziesii located at the southwest corner of the Landscape Annex on the campus of UBC.”. Join Christopher and 174 supporters today.