Blanket ban homework in the UK
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
- School is for work, not home
The whole point of school is a place for students to get quality education, where tasks are demonstrated, practised, and consolidated. Once tasks are consolidated, students are made to do homework, whether or not it is relevant to the task. The homework doesn't make a student more intelligent, in fact it has quite the opposite impact. Homework adds to the stress a student may already have, causing them to grow a disliking of the subject, hence lack of willingness to complete tasks.
- Free time should be spent keeping fit, not completing work
Homework takes up free time which would normally be spent enjoying past times and hobbies, which are vital for the mental stability of anyone, not just students. One of these would be sport, an activity which is proven to increase levels of happiness, reduce chances of depression and keep the human body healthy. Homework stops students from enjoying sport and fitness, and can also cause obesity, something that costs the UK government more than fire and police services.
- Education should be constructive, not invasive
It is all too true that homework is invasive and not beneficial. The average 15 year old student from the UK spends a whopping 5 hours on homework a week! Compare that to Sweden's 3 and a half hours, or Finland's almost 0 hours. To make it worse, there is no correlation between completed homework and GCSE results. These countries are out-competing us on almost every level too.
Homework is scientifically proven to:
- Increase chances of depression in students.
- Cause obesity.
- Make students dangerously stressed, increasing chances of a heart attack or a stroke.
- Have no impact on the intelligence of students.
Homework is morally wrong:
- Homework interferes with Article 31 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- The Article basically states: "Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities." (Source: UNICEF)
Petition created by No Homework UK
Read more about No Homework UK by clicking here
Today: No Homework UK is counting on you
No Homework UK needs your help with “Justine Greening: Blanket ban homework in the UK”. Join No Homework UK and 4 supporters today.