Trans Mountain is not in the best interest of the West Coast or Canada.
This petition had 1,182 supporters
Once again, National Energy Board rubber stamps the Trans Mountain pipeline even with; significant adverse environmental effects on the southern resident killer whale population, and significant negative environmental effects of a spill from the pipeline or an oil tanker. Climate change an other ocean impacts were not discussed.
We have 90 days to tell Trudeau and the federal government, this pipeline is not good for BC or Canadians.
*In a unanimous decision, the Federal Court of Appeal ruled against the Trudeau government's approval of the Trans Mountain Pipeline Project, due to shortcomings in the National Energy Board's review, the government's lack of meaningful consultation with the Tsleil-Waututh Nation and other First Nations, and the regulator's refusal to consider the impact of pipeline project on endangered southern resident orcas. There was an "unjustified failure" to assess the effects of shipping that would result from the project.
If Trudeau is serious about the environment and Indigenous rights, he needs to respect the court’s decision, stop wasting taxpayer money on the Trans Mountain Pipeline project, and move on to invest in clean, renewable energy.
We should not have to fight to protect our coastal waters, nor be put in jail for climate justice. As an independent, tax paying British Columbian, I am frustrated with our government to have allowed the hyper-focus on one pipeline expansion and one company to dominate our politics and discussion.
Here are 5 good reasons we need to tell our government to steer clear of the Kinder Morgan pipeline project and invest in renewable energy now:
1- KM pipeline expansion goes against Canada’s own climate action plan, with an increase of carbon from fossil fuel extraction. Bitumen production is more carbon-intensive than conventional oil production and total emissions are growing. Specialists say if bitumen extraction continues, it is over for the climate. We’re already feeling the tragic effects of climate change with the worst wildfire seasons ever in BC.
2- Ignoring Indigenous rights to Free Prior Informed Consent. Justin Trudeau promised to do things differently than his predecessors, he promised indigenous peoples that their rights would be respected. He has broken that promise with the way he has managed the Trans Mountain pipeline Expansion Project.
3- Kinder Morgan has a bad safety record. They effectively bypassed environmental safety at Burnaby Mountain - including damage and sediment to salmon spawning streams - destroying environmental sensitive areas. The corporation has also had many issues from pipelines spills including one in Kamloops, and a record of four large spills approximately every four years. Also the risk of additional seven-fold Aframax tankers, with an increased capacity from 300,000 barrels to 890,000 a day, rises the risk of a spill or refinery fire considerably.
4- The Kinder Morgan project is killing precious wildlife and ecosystems. KM negatively affected the salmon spawning tributaries by laying down illegal anti-spawning mats, damaging local streams. Salmon and herring stocks are predicted to be extinct if aggressive effort to preserve them are not taken. The Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), listed as endangered under Canada’s Species at Risk Act, have been affected by the low salmon stocks in the Pacific Northwest. Moreover increased tanker traffic, noise which inhibits their echolocation and contamination are also pushing them to the brink of extinction. Mortality from collisions with vessels is one of the main human causes of death for large whales with insufficient protection.
5- It’s too expensive! With no public consultation, the federal government bought the troubled KM pipeline and expansion project for $4.5 billion taxpayer dollars. The cost then ballooned to an estimated $15 billion once finalized. Not only is the lack of job creation unclear, climate leaders do not buy pipelines.
Whenever Justin Trudeau decides what he will do next — we the voters, will be ready. Join me in sending our government a loud and clear message: Canadians want to be climate and human rights leaders, not reckless investors in dirty energy and fossil fuels.
*Video Images: All photos were captured from Google Image. Please contact me directly for credit or removal.
1. Thomas Sisk: Science is a casualty of the Trans Mountain pipeline debate. T. Sisk, Vancouver Sun, 2018. https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/thomas-sisk-science-is-a-casualty-of-the-trans-mountain-pipeline-debate
2. Liberals’ ‘Collective Insanity’ over Trans Mountain Creating New Western Alienation, Say BC Politicians. C Guly, The Tyee 2018. https://thetyee.ca/News/2018/05/10/Liberals-Collective-Insanity-Trans-Mountain-Alienation/
3. Dismantle National Energy Board and replace it with two new agencies for regulation, growth, panel recommends. Canadian Press via Financial post, 2017. https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/dismantle-national-energy-board-and-replace-it-with-two-new-agencies-for-regulation-growth-panel-recommends
4. National Energy Board: Captured Regulator? Andrew Nikiforuk, The Tyee 2011. https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/06/17/NEB/
5. Assessing the risks of Kinder Morgan’s proposed new Trans Mountain pipeline. Conversations for Responsible Economic Development, 2018. http://credbc.ca/assessing-the-risks/
6. Concerned Professional Engineers, website 2018. http://concernedengineers.org/
7. Engineers face ethical dilemma over pipelines. Chris Kennedy, Times Colonist 2018. https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/op-ed/comment-engineers-face-ethical-dilemma-over-pipelines-1.23359590
8. Washington state officials troubled by oilpatch secrets. Stanley Tromp, National Observer, 2017.
9. Kinder Morgan Pipeline Won't Be Allowed Through First Nations Territories, Leaders Say. Emma Paling, Huffington Post 2018. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/15/kinder-morgan-pipeline-first-nations-block-trans-mountain-indigenous_a_23411828/
10. West Coast Environmental Law, 2018 https://www.wcel.org/blog/northern-gateways-federal-approval-has-been-overturned-now-what
11. The Court of Law v. The Laws of Climate. Aaron Saad, Ricochet Media, 2018. https://ricochet.media/en/2298/the-court-of-law-v-the-laws-of-climate
12. Assessment of the Trans Mountain Pipeline and Tanker Expansion Proposal,Tsleil-Waututh Nation, 2018. https://twnsacredtrust.ca/
13. Relocating tributaries ‘a recipe for disaster’ Streamkeeper says Kinder Morgan's plans to move streams during springtime will negatively impact fish. Tereza Verenca, Burnaby Now 2018. https://www.burnabynow.com/news/relocating-tributaries-a-recipe-for-disaster-1.23159330
14. Trans Mountain blocked eagle nesting perch at Westridge Marine Terminal. Ainslie Cruickshank, The Vancouver Star 2018. https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/04/16/trans-mountain-blocked-eagle-nesting-perch-at-westridge-marine-terminal.html
15. Anger over Kinder Morgan’s razor fence in Burrard Inlet. CTV News, 2018 https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1333079
16. Modified tank farm limits evacuation, emergency response plans: City of Burnaby. Lauren Boothby, Burnaby Now 2018. https://www.burnabynow.com/news/modified-tank-farm-limits-evacuation-emergency-response-plans-city-of-burnaby-1.23346780
17. Kinder Morgan emergency plan underestimates effects of oil spill: report. Mike Hager, The Globe and Mail, 2018. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/kinder-morgan-emergency-plan-underestimates-effects-of-oil-spill-report/article24495099/
18. Kinder Morgan has a history of spills. Opinion, Times Colonist, 2018. https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/kinder-morgan-has-a-history-of-spills-1.23211851
19. Kinder Morgan admits it broke noise rules during pipeline work. CTV 2018 https://bc.ctvnews.ca/kinder-morgan-admits-it-broke-noise-rules-during-pipeline-work-1.3976268
20. Salmon is keystone species for region. Seattle Times, 2003. https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/salmon-is-keystone-species-for-region/
21. The Kinder Morgan pipeline and Pacific salmon: Red fish, black gold. Sarah Alderman, Macleans, 2018 https://www.macleans.ca/economy/with-b-c-s-attack-on-alberta-oil-the-war-of-mutual-destruction-begins/
22. Connecting people to protect whales. Port of Vancouver, 2018. https://www.portvancouver.com/stories/connecting-people-to-protect-whales/
23. Weigh Anchor. Globe and Mail, 2018. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/kinder-morgan-trans-mountain-pipeline-bc-coast/article35043172/
24. Is Bitumen Good for Canada? Andrew Wong, Alternative Journal 2013. http://www.alternativesjournal.ca/science-and-solutions/bitumen-good-canada
25. Climate Action Tracker, 2018 https://climateactiontracker.org/
26. Open letter to Judge Affleck: as a doctor, this is why I'm against Kinder Morgan's oil pipeline expansion. Warren Bell, National Observer, 2018. https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/08/20/opinion/open-letter-judge-affleck-doctor-why-im-against-kinder-morgans-oil-pipeline
27. Officials identify Texas pipeline worker killed in explosion. Reuters, 2018 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-pipeline-blast/officials-identify-texas-pipeline-worker-killed-in-explosion-idUSKBN1KP0IZ
28. Kinder Morgan underestimating environmental, health risks of pipeline expansion – report. P. O’Neil & K. Sinoksi, Vancouver Sun 2015. http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Kinder+Morgan+underestimating+environmental+health+risks+pipeline+expansion+report/11083737/story.html
29. Canada cannot profess to be a climate leader if it's buying pipelines, say environmentalists. Liam Britten, CBC 2018. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/paris-climate-change-trans-mountain-1.4683465
30. Kinder Morgan bailout to cost north of $15 billion. Robyn Allen, National Observer 2018. https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/05/29/analysis/kinder-morgan-bailout-cost-north-15-billion
31. Big oil asks government to protect its Texas facilities from climate change. CBS News, 2018. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-protect-oil-facilities-from-climate-change-coastal-spine/
32. Fully Automated Oil Fields Are Almost Here. Irina Slave, Oil Price, Aug 2018. https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Fully-Automated-Oil-Fields-Are-Almost-Here.html?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb_repost
33. COST OF KINDER MORGAN TAXPAYER BUY-OUT IS STAGGERING. Taxpayer 2018 https://www.taxpayer.com/commentaries/cost-of-kinder-morgan-taxpayer-buy-out-is-staggering
34. For Marine Life, New Threats from a Fast-Tracked Canadian Pipeline. https://e360.yale.edu/features/for-marine-life-new-threats-from-a-fast-tracked-canadian-pipeline
35. Consider the global impacts of oil pipelines. Nature 2014 (PDF) https://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.15434!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/510465a.pdf?origin=ppub
36. Various open source or purchase articles related transport of non-conventional crude oil 2018 and effects on marine life: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147651318307401
37.High mortality of blue, humpback and fin whales from modeling of vessel collisions on the U.S. West Coast suggests population impacts and insufficient protection
38. A PIPELINE CONTROVERSY EXPLAINED: IS WASHINGTON NOW IN THE TAR SANDS CROSSHAIRS?
39. Canada acquires key pipeline link to Washington refineries
Today: Tyna is counting on you
Tyna Mcnair needs your help with “Justin Trudeau: Climate leaders do not buy pipelines! #orcas #climatechange #transmountain”. Join Tyna and 1,181 supporters today.