A speeding truck hit two elephants near the Mahamaya flyover in Noida around 5.30am on Friday, killing a 45-year-old female animal and seriously injuring another. Both elephants lay on the road for nearly four hours, causing a huge early-morning traffic gridlock on the busy stretch.
The elephants were finally lifted with cranes and the road cleared for traffic. The injured animal, still in a state of shock, is being treated. Police said the truck was speeding when the driver lost control and hit the two elephants, travelling from Dadri to Wazirabad in Delhi. The truck driver escaped leaving the vehicle behind.
The two mahouts riding the elephants also fell off as the animals came under the wheels of the rogue truck. The mahouts were taken to the district hospital in Noida for treatment by police, who reached the spot on receiving information about the accident from a patrolling PCR.
"We were walking on the side of the road and suddenly without warning a truck hit us with great impact and we were all thrown on the road," said mahout Mukut Kumar.
"When the accident occurred, the elephant named Roopkali, which was killed, fell on its side along with the mahout who was riding on her," said an auto driver, Upender, who was passing by. "We thought the mahout would be killed, but when he was pulled out he was alive, although injured and shaken."
Police called in a veterinary doctor who declared one of the elephants dead. Vets from the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals were also called to the spot to provide medical aid to the injured 30-year old Chanchal.
"Since the Wildlife Trust of India is the organization which handles such emergencies, we provided the injured elephant with first aid and iced her wounds to give her relief," said Dr Preeti from SPCA, Noida. "We also informed WTI, who soon sent their team of doctors to monitor Chanchal's condition."
The WTI doctors, who arrived at the spot at about 9.30am, gave the elephant antibiotics and kept it under observation. It will be transported in a truck to its residence in Wazirabad on Saturday morning.
"The elephant had multiple lacerations and was bruised all over. Also, its right hind leg was badly injured and the animal was in extreme pain. "We have given it painkillers and are going to keep it under observation for 24 hours," said Dr Shanaz Amin from WTI.
The body of the other elephant was taken for an autopsy and the carcass thereafter buried, police said.
Meanwhile, police have arrested the three owners of the elephants, Zaheer, Iqbal and Farooq (who is also the elephant association president) under the wildlife Act.The UN affiliated OIPA in India media adviser Abhishek Kadyan and PFA Haryana director events Sukanya Kadyan demands IPC 120-B also be imposed and the Chief Wild Life Warden of Delhi be arrested for criminal conspiracy against the National heritage animal of India, promoter of this elephant murder as well: Who abused them for pride, we further demands immediate rescue of all captive elephants and introduction of the rules and regulations for the heritage animal of India.
- HE The Governor of Haryana
- HE Vice President of India
- The Chief Wild Life Warden, Haryana
- OIPA - Indian People for Animals
- Central Zoo Authority - CZA
- Secretary to Ministry of Environment and Forest
- SSP, Gautam Budh Nagar, UP
- Inspector General of Police, Meerut Zone
- The DIG of UP Police, Complaint cell
- The District Magistrate, Gautambudhnagar
- The Deputy Commissioner, Faridabad
- The Deputy Commissioner, Gurgaon
- The Deputy Commissioner, Palwal
- The Deputy Commissioner, Sonipat
- Animal Welfare Division
- Hon'ble Minister of Environment and Forest
- Hon'ble Prime Minister of India
- HE The President of India
- The Chief Minister of UP
- The Director General of Police, UP
- The Chief Secretary to the Govt. of Haryana
- The Director General of Forest
- The Secretary to the Department of Forest, UP
- The Chief Minister of Delhi
- Supreme Court of India, New Delhi
Hon'ble Chief Justice
- Ministry of Environment and Forest
- Delhi High Court, New Delhi
The Chief Justice
- The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau
- The Speaker, Lok Sabha
- Chief Wild Life warden of Delhi
Meanwhile, Noida Police have arrested the owners of the elephants, Zaheer, Iqbal and Farooq (who is also the elephant association president) under the wildlife Act after lodging FIR for killing Elephant and injuring another. The UN affiliated the International Organisation for Animal Protection - OIPA in India media adviser Abhishek Kadyan, Hon. Animal Welfare Officer to Animal Welfare Board of India (Ministry of Environment and Forest - Govt. of India) and PFA Haryana director events Sukanya Kadyan demands IPC 120-B and 268 also be imposed and the Chief Wild Life Warden of Delhi being an guardian be arrested for criminal conspiracy against the National heritage animal of India, promoter of this elephant murder as well: Who abused, booked them for pride / marriage ceremony, we further demands immediate rescue of all captive elephants and introduction of the rules and regulations for the heritage animal of India. Online complaint has been lodged with the Gautam Budh Nagar Police by Naresh Kadyan, spoken with SSP and SHO, sector-39, Police station as well. Injured female elephant will also die in the custody of NGO, why she was not hospitalized in Animal Husbandry Universities well equipped hospitals?
Hon'ble Chief Justice of Delhi High Court is here by requested to treat this mail as PIL for natural justice in the interest of public, animal as well.
WHY and WHO is responsible?:
1. Elephants being an national heritage animal of India, no rules and regulations are framed yet.
2. There are no vehicle / legislation defined to transport Elephant from one place to another.
3. Elephants are being abused for pride, begging and political tools, personnel gain and profit.
4. The Central Zoo Authority of India confirmed that elephants are being ill treated in Zoo and issued order to rescue and rehabilitate them in their natural habitat.
5. Double standard for wild and captive elephants, where as both are protected under scheduled one of the Wild Life Protection Act, 1972. No legal action was initiated against the performing bear so called owners, where as Wildlife sos paid against their rescue, like wise in female laxmi elephant as well, performing monkeys are being left unattended, WHY?
6. Training and license for Mahouts should be mandatory to control elephants and iron ankush be banned.
7. Guidelines for care and management of captive elephants be implemented at once. Captive elephant entries in NCR, Metropolitan cities and on National highways be banned.
Matter taken up with the Ministry of Environment and Forest vide No. MOEAF/E/2012/00189, with the President of India's office No. PRSEC/E/2012/09085.
One female elephant Laxmi was caught on July 6, 2007 along with Radheshyam s/o Raghubar and elephant was given on superdari to Yakub of Delhi but now Radheshyam is absconding from the Special Environment court at Kurukshetra, Laxmi elephant also missing in Delhi. Fed up with selected NGO's & animal guardian Govt. officials syndicate, it should be break out to minimize stress, pain on animals.
The Chief Wild Life Warden of Delhi another blunder mistake, when he issued 26 Cobra, 7 King Cobra, One Python and 8 Rat Snakes to the Snake Charmers in Delhi for their personnel gain and profit with out verifying the facts.
Abhishek Kadyan started this petition with a single signature, and now has 17,998 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.