Approve Forensic Audit of Virginia State Bar excessive expenses
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
TO IMPLEMENT A FORENSIC AUDIT OF THE VIRGINIA STATE BAR TO FIND OUT WHY, WHERE & HOW THE VIRGINIA STATE BAR SPENDS $23,000,000. A YEAR:
It has been 22 years (1995) since JLARC has audited the Virginia State Bar financials.
A review of the Virginia State Bar published Financial Data and its yearly Budgets show clearly the out-of-control spending and highly irregular activity.
THE VIRGINIA STATE BAR IS MANDATED PERFORM ITS DUTIES TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC, AND VIRGINIA ATTORNEYS SHOULD NOT PAY INFLATED YEARLY DUES.
Important links to detailed reports of irregular activity at the VSB:
- Virginia state Bar $900,000 catering scandal
- Virginia State Bar extravagant foreign travel
- Virginia State Bar $2.8 million computer scandal
- Virginia State Bar excessive salary scandal
- Virginia State Bar $9.7 million Client Protection slush fund
An Independent 5-Year Audit will:
- identify easily the Virginia State Bar's diversion of the Bar's funds and the wasting of Virginia attorneys' dues
- show that Virginia attorneys' yearly dues should have been reduced years ago and should be curtailed.
- identify why Virginia attorneys are paying yearly into a $9.7 Million Dollar Slush Fund, identified by the Virginia State Bar as a Client Protection Fund, which is not being distributed to the Public as it should be and which has paid out less than $39,000.00 in this year.
- cause the immediate reallocation of Virginia State Bar funds to provide the protection the Public deserves and to separate the Virginia Attorney Discipline System from the politically controlled Virginia State Bar.
In 1995, the Virginia General Assembly's Joint Legislative and Review Commission (JLARC) recommended that the Virginia State Bar immediately reduce attorneys' yearly dues and reallocate its spending.
The Virginia State Bar has not implemented either of JLARC's recommendations, and the Bar has gone in the opposite direction.
Even with consistent increased attorneys' dues, the Virginia State Bar states routinely that it is not able to protect the Public as required by VA. Code § 54.1-3910. Organization and government of Virginia State Bar:
The Virginia State Bar shall act as an administrative agency of the Court for the
purpose of investigating and reporting violations of rules and regulations adopted by the [Virginia Supreme] Court under this article. . . All persons engaged in the practice of law in the Commonwealth shall be active members in good standing of the Virginia State Bar. . . .
Who is affected by this petition:
- Everyone will benefit from a 5-Year Independent Audit of the Virginia State Bar and the reorganization of the Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System to remove it from the politically controlled Virginia State Bar "Trade Organization."
- The Public will be provided the protection they deserve by an independent Disciplinary Department under the direct supervision of the Virginia Supreme Court.
- For the protection of the Public and all Virginia attorneys, the Virginia State Bar needs to be a completely separate Virginia Supreme Court agency that will have the resources to investigate thoroughly all reported violations of Virginia Code of Professional Conduct for lawyers who are engaged in the practice-of-law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and across the world
Solutions to the problem:
- The Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System needs to be directly under the supervision of the Virginia Supreme Court.
- The Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System should not be part of the Virginia State Bars politically controlled "Trade Association" which is spending $22 to $24 Million Dollars a year.
- The dues paid by Virginia attorneys need to be reduced or curtailed.
- The Virginia Supreme Court should fund and control the Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System and ensure that the Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System carries out the mandated duties specified in the Code of Virginia.
- The Virginia General Assembly has the authority to enact the structural changes needed to form an Independent Virginia Attorney Disciplinary System just as most states have already done.
You can make a difference and help protect the public and Virginia attorneys from being taken advantage of by the current Virginia State Bar politically controlled "Trade Association" that protects only its "in-house" lawyers, the Big-Firm attorneys and Well-Connected attorneys.
Virginia State Bar Public Disciplinary data proves that NO 'in-house Virginia State Bar attorneys, Big-Firm attorneys, and Well-Connected attorneys have received ANY PUBLIC DISCIPLINE IN OVER 27 YEARS.
- We care about everyone.
- We care about the protection of the Public.
- We care about all Virginia licensed attorneys who are paying highly inflated yearly dues.
- We want to see Virginia State Government waste cut out.
- We want to see the resources of Virginia allocated to the protection of the Public which the Virginia General Assembly stated in 1938 was needed for all the Public.
Today: Brace f. is counting on you
Brace f. Impact needs your help with “Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission (JLARC: Approve Forensic Audit of Virginia State Bar excessive expenses”. Join Brace f. and 181 supporters today.