STOP the Spectra Energy Pipeline from going through Franklin MA! We don't need or want it
This petition had 439 supporters
PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER. That is the only way they can verify your support.
Spectra Energy wants to build a second pipeline, the NorthEast Q1 Loop, along the line of one that current exists. This new pipeline, unlike the one in place, serves NO BENEFIT to Franklin Residents. It's sole purpose is to transport 'fracked gas' from the source in PA all the way up to Canada in order to sell it overseas.
We will get NO BENEFIT from allowing this pipeline through our backyard. What we will get is increased health and safety risk (leaks, explosions), maintenance liability, increased energy bills and decreased property values.
We need your help to STOP THE PIPELINE.
The proposal is to build a 30-inch gas pipeline 21.2 miles through these ten towns:
Milford, Bellingham, Medway, Millis, Franklin, Norfolk, Walpole, Sharon, Canton, Stoughton.
A few facts:
- WE DO NOT HAVE THE GOVERNOR'S SUPPORT. He supports making New England utility customers pay for the construction of the pipeline through utility charges, a hidden tax without citizen input, despite his promise of “no new taxes.”
- Massachusetts doesn’t need additional gas pipelines; we managed the most extreme winter ever, 2014 2015, without them by planning properly for our winter energy needs, unlike the “Polar Vortex” winter of 2013/2014 for which the energy markets were manipulated.
- The Spectra pipeline will send gas to Canadian LNG terminals for export which will significantly raise the price of gas to international levels.
- Pipelines can lower the value of your property 10-30% by increasing the easement corridor and restricting the use of your land.
- All pipelines eventually leak and they can explode; since 1995, over 10,800 “incidents” have happened nationwide at the rate of over ten per week, costing $6.3 billion in property damage.
- Gas contains over 60 neurotoxins, carcinogens and endocrine disruptors; moreover, gas from the Marcellus Shale in Pennsylvania and West Virginia contains radon.
- Gas is a fossil fuel, contributing significantly to climate change; gas from the point of extraction to the point of use is as damaging to the atmosphere as coal
Today: Greater Franklin Node, 350 Mass is counting on you
Greater Franklin Node, 350 Mass needs your help with “Jeffrey Roy, Karen Spilka, Richard Ross: STOP the Spectra Energy Pipeline from going through Franklin MA! We don't need or want it”. Join Greater Franklin Node, 350 Mass and 438 supporters today.