Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is non-flammable! Please Free Mark Kirk!

Petition Closed

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is non-flammable! Please Free Mark Kirk!

This petition had 9 supporters

Michael Fox started this petition to Governor Jack Markell and

On December 5, 1996, an early morning apartment fire took the lives of a father and two children in New Castle, Delaware. The next day, detectives questioned Mark Kirk who lived in the apartment below. After a long interrogation, Kirk confessed to starting the blaze by pouring Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum onto an electric stove burner.

This confession has one problem. Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum will not burn. It is only 35% alcohol (70 proof) and the remaining 65% is water, flavors, and other ingredients which retard burning.  It is not like Bacardi 151, which is 75.5% alcohol.

 

At trial, Kirk's attorneys presented a burn test in which the rum failed to ignite. The state provided a test showing the rum erupting into a pyrotechnic flame. The judge ruled the two tests cancelled each other out, and the confession carried weight. The state asked for death and Kirk was sentenced to three consecutive life terms. 

 

How do we know that Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is nonflammable? Internationally recognized arson expert John Lentini conducted three tests to ascertain the truth. In all three tests, Dr. Lentini could not ignite the rum.        ( View

 

So why is Kirk still in prison? Lentini's findings were submitted to both state and federal courts. All ignored this new evidence. Currently, Kirk's appeals are exhausted.

 

But Mark Kirk has one chance left: a commutation from the governor.

 

Help free an innocent man convicted on junk science. Please sign the petition to Delaware Governor Markell to grant Mark a commutation and free an innocent man!.

 

Gratefully,

 

Michael H. Fox

Director

Network for Innocent Arson Defendants

 

 

Petition Closed

This petition had 9 supporters