Petition Closed

Ipswich Elementary: New School, New Site

This petition had 466 supporters

Let's take the time NOW to identify the correct site for our new elementary school.

We are Ipswich Citizens Lobbying for Another MSBA Site.  With this petition, we encourage the School Building Committee to suspend further development of the Winthrop site and request a 6 month extension from the MSBA.  The MSBA program manager confirms that this is an option.  

Requesting an extension will not jeopardize our agreement with the MSBA. If the extension is not granted, the current project can move forward.

An MSBA-financed project assumes overwhelming community backing, which the combined school on the Winthrop site does not have. By taking the time now to identify a more suitable site, the project can resume with town-wide support.

A delay is justified because:

  • The traffic, congestion, safety and parking issues that accompany the current project significantly impact the Winthrop neighborhood and downtown businesses. 
  • There are other viable sites for a school, preferable to Winthrop, that have not been fully explored .
  • There is strong community sentiment for a public safety building, which benefits all residents.  The Winthrop site is the ideal central location for our fire and police forces.
  • We want to present the best possible elementary school plan for town vote in order to maximize voter approval.

 A delay of 6 months can increase support for a school plan we can all agree on. Ipswich residents- please add your name to this petition.

Today: Ipswich C.L.A.M.S is counting on you

Ipswich C.L.A.M.S needs your help with “Ipswich School Building Committee: New Site for New School”. Join Ipswich C.L.A.M.S and 465 supporters today.