In 2007, the FDA began receiving complaints from consumers who purchased chicken jerky treats made in China for their dogs. Complaints ranged from illness to death. Dogs were of different ages, sizes and breeds. An advisory was issued by the FDA, but not a formal recall.
In 2011, the complaints began escalating. More dogs were dying, but the FDA could not identify the toxin killing the dogs. Dogs were dying from kidney failure, liver disease and pancreatitis. Sick dogs were also exhibiting signs of Fanconi-like symptoms.
Since the FDA could not identify the toxins, again, no formal recall was issued. Complaints since 2007 have reached over 1,300. These are the reported cases.
Memorial Day weekend 2012, our 11 ½ year old dog Cali, was given Del Monte’s Milo’s Kitchen Chicken Jerky treats. Within hours, she lost her appetite, became extremely lethargic and began vomiting. We sought veterinary care, but nothing was found. On Wednesday, May 30 at 5:45am, her stomach flipped, she aspirated on her own vomit, collapsed and died. Her death was painful and violent. Her loss has been overwhelming. It’s left a void in our lives and many unanswered questions. After all the years of watching over, protecting our family, and being our loyal friend, she didn’t deserve what happened to her.
Two of our other dogs became ill as well. One is still undergoing veterinary care 6 weeks later. He has experienced elevated liver and kidney numbers as well as significant pain.
A necropsy has been performed on Cali and toxicology results are pending. We are hopeful that through her death, answers may be found.
Recall rules for the FDA are complicated and until detailed answers are found to prove what has killed all these family pets, it’s up to the distributors of these products to do the right thing-issue a voluntary recall.
Please join me and thousands of pet owners in asking Del Monte and Purina, makers of the 3 most suspect brands, Waggin' Train, Canyon Creek Ranch and Milo's Kitchen to issue a voluntary recall of these products until they are proven safe.
Until the a voluntary recall is put in place, consumers will continue to buy these products without knowing the hidden dangers.
5 years of unnecessary death and suffering is enough. It’s time for us to speak for our beloved companions and ensure their health and safety.
Rachael Chambers started this petition with a single signature, and now has 890 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.