Petition Closed
Petitioning Humboldt County CA, City of Arcata, ICE

Release Anna Karewicz so she can return to her community.


Her detainment and incarceration is in violation of her civil and human rights.

Letter to
Humboldt County CA, City of Arcata, ICE
This petition is in support of the immediate release of our friend Anna Karewicz (often called Anka), a much beloved community member and generous volunteer. Anna is being held with an ICE (immigration) hold and is fighting imminent deportation.

Anna was contacted by police Thursday August 3rd, after her bicycle tour group mistakenly turned, riding their bikes on the wrong side of a one way street for one block in Arcata, CA. When she began to identify herself they accused her of being "illegal" and then took her to jail. The rest of the tour group received traffic infraction citations and were free to go.

Arcata police officers do not have the authority to act as immigration agents, which appears to be the sole basis for their arrest of Anna instead of citation. This is outside of their jurisdiction. State and federal courts have made clear that local officials who engage in immigration enforcement may themselves be violating the law.

Anna lives in Oakland, CA. She is a hardworking and dedicated community member, volunteering her time as a bicycle mechanic for the Get Away Bike Collective, repairing and building bikes from parts for neighborhood children and anyone who comes in the door of the Community Center needing help.

Anna also volunteers two days a week every week, cooking food for a local soup kitchen, and spends a third day of the week picking up food donations for the free food kitchen from local farmers market vendors.

Anna is a puppeteer and artist, and an avid community gardener.

Anna Karewicz has no criminal history. She was stopped for allegedly riding a bicycle the wrong way on a one way street.

Anna has strong community ties. She is an example to us all.

lala mee started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,513 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.