Release 11-years-delayed Hunter S. Thompson's last book "The Mutineer", FFS
Questa petizione aveva 146 sostenitori
To all the Hunter S. Thompson's fans: where the hell is "The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop, 1977-2005"?!?
It's been 11 (almost 12) years since the book was announced, and we still have no news about it.
THESE ARE THE FACTS
(if you don't know them)
- "The Mutineer" is the third and last volume of the "Fear and Loathing Letters" by the Good Doctor
- Since the first volume ("The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967") was published, back in 1997, a second and a third volumes were announced
- The second chapter of the saga, "Fear and Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist, 1968-1976", was published in 2000
- The third volume, "The Mutineer", was first announced in 2005 (the year Hunter shot himself to death), and never published
- "The Mutineer" appears in the "Also by Hunter S. Thompson" list of books in the 2009 first edition of Ancient Gonzo Wisdom, a collection of interviews published by his wife Anita after his death, but there's no trace of it in my 2012 Picador e-book edition of the same book
- The book has a cover (a black and white photo of HST smoking with a hat, his trademark shades and a cigarette in the classic cigarette holder — "HUNTER S. THOMPSON" written in vertical and white — "THE MUTINEER" orizontal and grey — "Rants, Ravings and Missives from the Mountaintop 1997-2005" on the right of "THE" — "Edited by Douglas Brinkley WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY JOHNNY DEPP" on the bottom of the page)
- The book has an ISBN code (0684873176)
- The book si listed on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10876.The_Mutineer) as "Published March 1st 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 1st 2012)", which is obviously a blatant lie
- The book is listed on Amazon.com, but not on Amazon.it, where there's no trace of it
- A couple of months ago, it was listed as available on Amazon.de: I immediatly bought it, but eventually, guess what, it wasn't really available, so I never received it
- The book has, according to its Amazon and Goodread pages, 752 pages, so I think we can safely state that the book is completed — and it's been so for a long time. And, of course, the author cannot add any more letters to it. He's dead.
- In 2009 Anita Thompson stated that “The Mutineer has such sensitive letters in it that we are postponing it until some of the dust settles. I'd like to see it in the hands of readers as much as you do. Hunter was a gentleman, so it’s best to wait — but not sacrifice the inside story of the last 15 years of his life.”
What does this mean? Dust? Best to wait? Inside story? Meanwhile, 7 years have passed from that comment, and still no news
- There is a very informative discussion on the Amazon.com forum, here you can read it all: https://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-book/forum/Fx3PI22NXJPA9QI/Tx3UCKJHA1V2OH5/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=0684873176&store=books
The first post dates back to January 2007, when D.S Atkinson said: "I'm starting to think that this book will never actually be published". It's now 2016. Read the whole discussion for an excruciating cronology of the events and the growing dispair of the readers.
I saved myself some agony because in 2007 I was 16 years old and didn't even know who HST was, but maybe now the time has come to pay my dues and keep the battle alive
- Since Hunter's death, a lot of books by/about him have been published ("Gonzo", his book of photos; "The Rum Diary"; "Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone"; "Ancient Gonzo Wisdom"; "The Gonzo Way"; "Stories I tell myself", by his son Juan; and many others)
- Many books have been published, but NOT the ONLY ONE of never-published-material written by him. We had collections, interviews, whatever... But not his last book
- I wrote a complaint e-mail to Simon & Schuster (S&S is supposed to by the publisher). Here's the whole exchange:
Me: "Is “The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop 1977–2005” ever going to be released? If yes, when? I've already oredered the book on Amazon.de, it was listed as available, and two weeks after I received an e-mail telling that no, it wasn't actually available. If not, why? And why is it still listed on amazon? Let me know, please. Matteo"
S&S: "Dear Mr. Pezzi, Thank you for contacting Simon & Schuster Customer Service. We are sorry but we are only able to answer questions and offer assistance with orders placed at our online store. We are sorry that we cannot be of more help. Sincerely, Falisha"
Me: "Dear Falisha, that's exactly the problem: I CANNOT place the order because the book is not available, even if it should be. Please tell me if it's supposed to eventually be released, or if I can stop waiting. Thank you, Matteo"
S&S: "Dear Mr. Pezzi, Thank you for contacting Simon & Schuster Customer Service. We are sorry but we do not know when we might expect “The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop" to become available. If a title is not listed on our website then the information may just not be publicly available at this time. Sincerely, Falisha"
Dear Falisha wasn't extremely useful, as you can see
- I wrote a letter to Johnny Depp (everybody should do it, here's the address: http://johnny-depp.org/johnny/contactjohnny/), enclosing a 40€ check and the many reasons why he sould send me a copy of the Mutineers (because it obviously exists, and he has it) at once. No response, eh eh
THESE ARE THE SUPPOSITIONS
(I can't be technically call them facts, but I think they're Close Enough, and to date nothing has made me change my convinctions)
- Anita Thompson is milking the cow. She's making a museum of Hunter's home, planning to sell his weed, making speeches, selling merchandise, whatever she can.
On Christmas' eve, she posted on HST Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HunterSThompsonAuthor/?fref=ts managed by herself) this breath-taking news: "The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Board Game, Inspired by Hunter S. Thompson’s Rollicking Novel... "So, okay, Baldwin’s game is not to be taken seriously…or taken orally. It’s actually a one-of-its-kind piece of art that can be purchased for $3,500. Drugs, like batteries, are not included. You must supply your own, possibly through your attorney."
Are you kidding me?
- In one post on november 27th she managed to state the following six points:
"Thank you for keeping Hunter's legacy alive in your libraries and your hearts. My email is overwhelmed so please see below for some more info about the Aspen Times article.
1. By the end of 2017, the first groups of guests will be invited to visit the private museum.
2. The non-traditional writer's residence program will also be open for select musicians-- several band members may stay for periods of time to write and record in small basement recording studio.
3. I have found a legal method to extract the DNA from Hunter's personal marijuana and hashish that I saved for 12-15 years. I am in the process of making the strains available to those who would like to enjoy the authentic Gonzo strains in legal states. Although the the "drug lord" phrase is silly as it doesn't match my personality, I am looking forward to making the authentic strains available in legal states to support the Farm and the scholarships.
4. The land at Owl Farm above the labyrinth, where Hunter's ashes were scattered from cannons, will be protected from development by conservation easements (my plan by june of 2018), and will eventually be part of the Owl Farm experience for guests.
5. For more information, please email me email@example.com. Shorter emails will get a quicker response as I'm short staffed. Thanks!
6. I'll post later this month about the logo merchandise and clothing (limited availability right now-- apologies).
Thank you for keeping Hunter's legacy alive in your libraries and your hearts. Love, Anita T"
That's too bad that in our libraries there's one book missing.
- Anita never ever tells anything about "The Mutineer". Is she trying to keep it off the radar? Well, forget about it. Here we are.
- Johnny Depp neither, nor the remaining Hunter's friends. Where are they? What's wrong with this book? Speak up. We can't hear you.
WHAT CAN WE OBTAIN, AND WHY YOU SHOULD SIGN THIS PETITION
Well, admittedly, we can't do much.
The most important thing we can obtain by signing this is discovering how many of us are still actually waiting for "The Mutineer".
And let Anita or whoever is responsible for this shameful lack of respect know that we, hardcore Hunter S. Thompson's readers, are still fighting for this.
And after that, well... Who knows?
Let's begin this battle somehow.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride". Why not?
I want the damn book.
I deserve the damn book.
I firmly refuse to buy and read "The Gonzo Way", Anita's 2007 book. If she had the time to write it and in 11 years she didn't find the way to work around whatever or whoever is blocking "The Mutineer"'s release, well... As a reader stated in a "The Gonzo Way" review: "Anita just trying to extend the cash flow." You bet.
WHY I WROTE THIS PETITION
Out of frustration, really. In the Amazon forum quoted above, some readers were half-jokingly checking how many of those who started the discussion were still alive...
WHO I AM
My name is Matteo Pezzi, and I'm an Italian photographer living in Paris.
I read my first Hunter S. Thompson book in june 2016 (shame on me, I know, I know), but I tried to make up for the time lost by reading, in the following months, every single line he wrote. It's now late december 2016, and his only writing that I still have to put my hands on is, guess what, "The Mutineer".
I want it, badly. Help me.
SOME QUOTES ON WHY THIS IS ALL WRONG
(from "Ancient Gonzo Wisdom")
O’Rourke: You could write your own memoirs.
HST: Well, I’ve been working on these [collected] letters. It’s an incredible thing, seeing my life unreeled in front of me. You don’t know what the next box is going to hold when you review your life page by page. I don’t know how many people would volunteer for that. Have it reviewed in public, you know, and publish it.
bottom line: if he did volunteer for that, let's respect his will
(from "Ancient Gonzo Wisdom")
Arena: The letters which you had archived since you were a teenager were recently published in the collection The Proud Highway. Keeping all this documentation seems like part of some kind of grand plan, as if you knew their worth from the beginning.
HST: It’s more and more apparent that I knew all along. That’s going to be the indictment: he knew. There were no mistakes.
(from "Ancient Gonzo Wisdom")
But in a rough use of the word, I became a public figure. Somehow the author has become larger than the writing. And it sucks.
bottom line: Anita's burying the author and keeping only the public figure. "And it sucks."
(from "Fear and Loathing in America")
Well … I seem to have gone out of control here, and, as always, it’s late. It’s always late when I write letters. I just read over what I’ve said in this one and it occurs to me that it doesn’t sound as Friendly Ho-Ho as I meant it to be. That’s a language problem. I’m trying to be nice, Jim … but it’s hard.
bottom line: I'm trying to be nice, Anita... but it's hard.
ONE FINAL WORD
Please sign. For fuck's sake, sign.
And spread the word.
Tell your friends. Tell your mum. Tell Johnny Depp.
PS: we're not giving up. Beware.
Petizioni più popolari
Oggi: Matteo conta su di te
Matteo Pezzi ha bisogno del tuo aiuto con la petizione "http://www.thegonzofoundation.org/: Release 11-years-delayed Hunter S. Thompson's last book "The Mutineer", FFS". Unisciti con Matteo ed 145 sostenitori più oggi.