End the abuse of young people in NT Detention!
This petition had 37,864 supporters
End the brutalisation of children behind bars in the Northern Territory's Youth Correction Facilities. The ABC's Four Corners obtained a "catalogue of evidence showing a pattern of isolation, deprivation, tear gassing and mechanical restraint of children in Northern Territory youth detention centres." In response to the overwhelming evidence of abuse, we call on the Northern Territory Government to:
1. Immediately close down the Don Dale Correctional Facility
2. Undertake a full, independent and public inquiry on the treatment of young people in the youth justice system
3. Immediately remove the Hon. John Elferink MLA from his position in the Cabinet and suspend him from all official duties for all of his portfolios until the Royal Commission has made it's findings.
4. Commit to prosecuting all those who perpetrated violence and contributed to the maltreatment of young people in detention - including those who knew of the abuse and did nothing.
5. Deliver a full, public apology to the victims of your Government's policies and seek to compensate them for the damage they have endured.
6. Devise a genuine and complete overhaul of the justice system in the NT to combat the horrific statistics of indigenous incarceration rates.
Today: Cara is counting on you
Cara Brown needs your help with “Hon. Adam Giles MLA: End the abuse of young people in NT Detention”. Join Cara and 37,863 supporters today.