Help us restore passenger service on the New York, Susquehanna and Western Rail line
This petition had 129 supporters
The NYS&W passes through multiple communities full of citizens who travel east to jobs in Passaic and Bergen Counties and other points east. The route map can be found at: http://www.nysw.com/images/nysw-map-new-jersey.gif
Throughout the past 15-20 years and even through the current recession economy, travel on roads such as Route 23, State Route 17 in New York and secondary roads have become long and drawn out as more and more individuals move West to take advantage of a cheaper cost of living. Additionally, with the ski resorts, golf resorts and other activities, Sussex County has become a low-cost and local destination for hundreds if not thousands of New Yorkers to visit for day trips; thus increasing traffic on primary and secondary roads.
Because of these factors, we the people of the counties that reside along the NYS&W are urging New Jersey Transit or any authority willing, to restore FULL passenger service on the NYS&W line throughout New Jersey.
Currently, there is an agreement in place to restore passenger service from Paterson to Hackensack. While this is a great first step, New Jersey Transit and / or other authorities should move forward and restore passenger service all the way through to Vernon NJ. Advantages include:
1. A 'greener' environment - Statistics show that passenger service will effectively take more cars off the road then conventional bus service.
2. More economic options - Whether to points in Passaic County, Bergen County or New York City, restoring passenger service on the NYSW will provide access to new economic opportunities. Additionally, resort areas within Sussex County will be able to attract new customers which will effectively increase the bottom lines of multiple businesses.
3. Preservation of rail heritage - The heritage of the NYS&W is a great one. Railfans will be able to re-live this heritage through excursions, which will again, create new opportunities.
This petition is targeted at the following entities:
1. New Jersey Transit
2. MTA Metro North
3. New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway
4. North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority
5. Towns that border the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway in New York and New Jersey.
6. Local, State and National Politicians
Note: Want to keep apprised on our progress? Become our fan on Facebook at:http://www.facebook.com/nyswinnj Or follow us on Twitter at:https://twitter.com/#!/nyswinnj Additionally, we have set up a website located at:http://nyswpassengerrail.blogspot.com
Today: Restore Passenger Rail is counting on you
Restore Passenger Rail on the NYS&W Rail Line needs your help with “Help us restore passenger service on the New York, Susquehanna and Western Rail line”. Join Restore Passenger Rail and 128 supporters today.