Help Stop the Demolition of Portland Homes and keep Portland Sustainable
This petition had 2,926 supporters
Portland citizens are working together to fight the “epidemic” of house demolitions throughout the city. The Mayor and City Commissioner Amanda Fritz have tasked a group called the Development Advisory Review Committee (DRAC) to come up with short-term fixes for issues raised by the community that can be adopted by City Council by the end of 2014. There are long term issues that must be addressed as well early in 2015, but we need action now by DRAC and the City Council in these 6 critical areas to help protect the character and integrity of our neighborhoods:
· Restore the mandatory 35-day delay on all residential building demolitions by repeal of the “K-1” exemption for one-to-one house replacements.
· Require that demolition permit applicants be required to attest to their compliance with all State and Federal environmental and safety regulations, including those related to asbestos and lead.
· Establish a new definition of “demolition” that specifies that removal of 50% or more of the current structure is defined as a demolition.
· Retain the existing language in City Code providing for 120-day residential demolition delay upon request (during the initial 35-day period) by a recognized neighborhood association or neighborhood coalition, with the understanding that a good-faith effort be made by the association to find an alternative to demolition.
· Provide proper notification to the public of filed demolition permits by posting of a large, conspicuous sign on the site and email notification to the affected neighborhood association and the neighborhood coalition.
· Establish a rigorous definition of “deconstruction,” a vastly more environmentally friendly alternative to simple demolition and disposal of the debris in a land fill, and define appropriate incentives to encourage deconstruction, providing that such incentives not interfere with the working of the optional 120-day demolition delay or appropriate notice requirements.
Today: Stop the Demolition of Portland Homes is counting on you
Stop the Demolition of Portland Homes needs your help with “Help Stop the Demolition of Portland Homes and keep Portland Sustainable”. Join Stop the Demolition of Portland Homes and 2,925 supporters today.