- Bruce Messinger, Boulder Valley School DistrictSuperintendent
Create the Twin Lakes Owl Preserve and Open Space!
Give a HOOT!
Please sign this petition to help save Colorado’s most important Owl Habitat from destruction. Together we can win the creation of the Twin Lakes Owl Preserve and Open Space!
On Tues Feb 14th at 5:45 pm the Boulder Valley School District will consider:
1) to create the Twin Lakes Owl Preserve and Open Space
2) or to sell and bulldoze the Owl Hunting Meadows to make way for 300+ high density apartments.
If you love Owls and Open Space, please sign this change.org petition.
NEXT, please write Boulder Valley School Superintendent Bruce Messinger, a good man, to let him know that you love Owls and are grateful for his help in creating the Owl Education Center at the Twin Lakes Owl Preserve. Email Mr. Messinger at: email@example.com; with a cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Please forward a copy of your email to: info@BoulderOwlPreserve.org
3) Tues Feb 14, 2017 - Meet Mr. Messinger in person and the amazing BVSD students Anya and Summer, the talented you filmmakers who produced the hit Twin Lakes Owl Documentary!
Can you take a couple of very special hours to speak at this historic Owl public hearing at the Boulder Valley School Board on Tues Feb 14th at 5:45pm?
Our dream is that by creating the Owl Education Center more than 10,000 school children each year will be able to experience the majestic Twin Lakes Owls and witness the miracle of Baby Owls learning to fly. These wonderful nature hikes will be guided guided by teachers and students and Owl Preserve volunteers.
This spring we hope that thousands of Boulder Valley School District students will have the opportunity to get their hands dirty and help ecologists restore the twenty acre Owl Hunting Meadow to rich short grass native prairie with abundant wildflowers.
Can you come help speak to honorable school board members? Many of them are unaware that BVSD is about to destroy the home of Colorado's most visited Owls and will want to help create the Twin Lakes Owl Preserve and Open Space if you encourage them to do so. All you have to do is say "I am grateful for your help in creating the Owl Education Center at the Owl Preserve and Open Space".
Ken Beitel, Chair of Wilderness Conservation
Twin Lakes Owl Preserve and Open Space
email: info@BoulderOwlPreserve.org cell: 720 436 2465
****** Background Information ********
Why is Twin Lakes considered the most important Owl habitat in Colorado?
More view peoples experience the thrill of seeing Owls at Twin Lakes than anywhere else in the state!
According to Boulder County Parks and Open Space more than 100,000 people visits happen each year at Twin Lakes. Folks come from all over the county and state marvel at the miracle of being able to hear and see Colorado's most famous owls.
• Each spring at Twin Lakes in North Boulder, a family of Great Horned owls nest in a hollow tree.
• For decades, thousands of people have come to see to see the newly hatched baby owls emerge from their nest. Mother and father owl are never far away. It’s thrilling to see tremendous owl wingspans flying up from the Owl Hunting meadow behind their nesting tree with a delicious mouse or other meal for the young owlets.
1) Boulder County wants to bulldoze the Owl Hunting Meadow to cram in 300+ apartments.
2) Boulder Valley School District is breaking the law. The deed for the land states that it must be used for a park or a school.
Wildlife biologists tell us that human activities can destroy owl habitat and make them less likely to survive.
(Rohner, 2001; Rudolph, 1970; Sullivan, 1995)
You can help create the new Twin Lakes Owl Open Space!
A wonderful and nurturing place for owls and people, the new 20 acre Owl Preserve and Open Space will feature an Owl Education Center with interpretive signs and beautiful pictures explaining the owl life cycle and importance of the hunting meadow.
Share this petition with your friends by clicking Share on Facebook
Visit www.BoulderOwlPreserve.org to participate in Great Horned Owl events like interpretive hikes to the Owl Nesting Tree and music concerts to benefit the Owls!
With your help the Owl family will have a home for decades to come!
Owl Photo Credit: Alexa Boyes. Baby Owl Photo: h2wphoto.com
For more information or to volunteer please email: info@BoulderOwlPreserve.org
Bruce Messinger, Boulder Valley School District
Please support the Boulder Great Horned Owl Preserve! It will be a wonderful place for People and Owls for generations to come.
Twin Lakes Owl Open Space started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,163 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.