- CKE Restaurants
- Jason MarkerCEO, CKE Restaurants
- Brad HaleyChief Marketing Officer, CKE Restaurants
- Jeff ChasneyEVP Strategic Planning, CKE Restaurants
- John J. DunionChief Supply Chain Officer, CKE Restaurants
- Theodore AbajianCFO, CKE Restaurants
- Michael D'ArezzoVP Franchise Sales - North America, CKE Restaurants
- Jim SullivanSVP Domestic Franchise Development, CKE Restaurants
- Reese StewartSVP Finance & Chief Accounting Officer, CKE Restaurants
- Arlene PetokasCorporate Vice President of Human Resources, CKE Restaurants
- David LuxtonVP Construction and Facilities, CKE Restaurants
Hardee’s & Carl’s Jr. - Demand better from your chicken suppliers!
Chickens raised for Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. suffer some of the worst abuses on overcrowded factory farms.
These birds spend their short six weeks of life packed by the tens of thousands inside barren, windowless sheds. Bred to grow grotesquely large at an unnaturally fast rate, they often suffer painful, crippling leg injuries. Due to physical ailments and lack of space, many spend the majority of their lives lying in their own excrement on the filthy barn floor, suffering from toxic ammonia burns to their feet, chest, and lungs. At slaughter, chickens are violently shackled, electrocuted, and slit at their throats, many while still fully conscious.
Such irresponsible and inhumane conditions are not what you’d expect from restaurant chains that pride themselves on high food quality, but they’re the sad reality for chickens raised for Carl's Jr. and Hardee's. Such extreme animal abuse is not “premium quality” - customers and animals deserve better!
Fortunately, there is momentum to reform this abusive industry. Restaurants such as Shake Shack, Burger King, and Chipotle have joined over a dozen other major food companies that have released comprehensive, meaningful commitments to address the welfare concerns facing chickens raised for meat. Why are Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. refusing to commit to the same standards?
It’s time for Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. to make a change. Please sign this petition demanding that the leadership at CKE Restaurants (Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr.parent company) commit to a strong welfare policy that grants chickens more space and environmental enrichments, a transition to higher-welfare breeds of birds, and the elimination of live-shackle slaughter methods.
- CKE Restaurants
- CEO, CKE Restaurants
- Chief Marketing Officer, CKE Restaurants
- EVP Strategic Planning, CKE Restaurants
- Chief Supply Chain Officer, CKE Restaurants
John J. Dunion
- CFO, CKE Restaurants
- VP Franchise Sales - North America, CKE Restaurants
- SVP Domestic Franchise Development, CKE Restaurants
- SVP Finance & Chief Accounting Officer, CKE Restaurants
- Corporate Vice President of Human Resources, CKE Restaurants
- VP Construction and Facilities, CKE Restaurants
The majority of consumers agree: chickens deserve better than the abuse and cruelty that is standard practice on many farms, including the ones in CKE Restaurants’ supply chain. Right now, chickens destined to be sold to CKE Restaurants as meat are crammed by the tens of thousands inside filthy, windowless sheds and forced to live for weeks in their own waste and toxic ammonia fumes. They are bred to grow unnaturally fast and often suffer from painful crippling, organ failure, and heart attacks. At the slaughterhouse, they are violently handled, painfully shocked, and cut open at the throat — often while still alive and able to feel pain.
This cruelty must stop! Until this issue is addressed, my family and I will no longer dine at companies owned by CKE Restaurants. We will instead visit restaurants that take animal welfare more seriously.
I am writing to ask that CKE Restaurants institute and publicly release an animal welfare policy that ensures its supplier’s farms require all of the following by 2024 at the latest:
1. Ensure 100% of chicken is produced using the standards set forth by Global Animal Partnership which address the welfare issues related to fast growing breeds, environment (including lighting, litter, and enrichments) and stocking density.
2. Ensure all chickens in the supply system be processed in a manner that avoids live-dumping and live-shackling of birds, and instead utilizes a pre-shackle multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that’s widely hailed as less cruel.
3. Demonstrate compliance with the above standards via third party auditing.
These changes would prevent a great deal of egregious, needless animal suffering, and it is well within your company’s ability to make them. Please adopt a rigorous animal welfare policy immediately.
The Humane League started this petition with a single signature, and now has 40,945 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.